General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.
View Poll Results: Do you do your own maintenance?
I do my own maintenance
54.76%
I have a shop do my maintenance
2.38%
I don't have any maintenance done
0%
I do some of my own and shop do the rest
42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Does it really pay to do your own maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Only thing I don't do is transmission and exhaust system work....

Old 03-19-2011, 01:50 PM

I do my own maintenance. Repairs are another matter, of course. Depends on how difficult it is.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
My fiance and I do oil changes, brake fluid changes, coolant change, supercharger oil change and we are going to flush out some of the trans fluid, rotate tires. I haven't had anything major happen to the car yet but if that would come up I would have to get that done at a shop.
This. I do most of the minor stuff myself. My wife doesn't help though My next step is to see if my Dad and I can do it. If that doesn't work, then it goes to a shop.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:17 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Everything but tranny and brakes. Im lazy and take it in for oil changes though

Old 03-20-2011, 12:36 PM

try to do everything myself (with the help of forums and friends) if i doint have the tool, i'll usually just go buy it or rent it... just gotta remember where all the parts go and retorque everything properly

things i wouldnt do: rebuild a tranny, or anything that requires a tech 2 scan tool... just take it in for that!

Old 03-20-2011, 02:39 PM

I do as much as I can with the tools I have. I wish I had a lift ion the garage, but that's not going to happen in an apartment. I haven't done the plugs yet on the Monte, as I'm not exactly sure how to go about rotating the engine forward.

Last weekend I replaced a wheel bearing and a tie rod end on the Monte. I still have to take it in and have the lower control arm bushings replaced, as I don't think I have the tools to do that myself.

Outside of that, I always do my oil changes, air filters, brakes, batteries, belts, fuel filter and I've now learned how to do door hinges, electric seat motor and track, and IAC valves on my fiancées 96 Mustang GT.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:33 PM

I do all my own maintainence but there are some repairs that I have a shop do. Some of the stuff I can do but just don't feel like doing or depending on the time of the year, I might have someone else do it. The older I get, the less repair stuff I feel like doing. Being kind of poor at the moment also dictates what I do myself.

Wayne

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am a "do-it-all myself". So far, the only things I don't do is exhaust work (not worth being under a car for that and there are good shops that can weld in a nice replacement exhaust with stainless steel if needed). And transmission work (I can change trans fluid, but outside of that, anything in the trans requiring service, I have not tried to conquer).
I have done head gaskets, water pumps, control arms, shocks, struts and the list goes on and on and on.....

Old 03-21-2011, 09:09 AM

i am still learning, so good thing i am on this site, but anything serious i take to a local shop.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 PM

If you can do your own maintaince...that way you know what is going on with the car. If something is bent or leaking or rusting then you know about it and will not come as a surprise down the road or make it look like the shop is trying to get more money out of you. Or by doing something yourself you know when the shop is trying to get more money out of you as well.

Quick Reply: Does it really pay to do your own maintenance?