General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.
View Poll Results: Do you do your own maintenance?
I do my own maintenance
54.76%
I have a shop do my maintenance
2.38%
I don't have any maintenance done
0%
I do some of my own and shop do the rest
42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Does it really pay to do your own maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Does it really pay to do your own maintenance?

Where do we draw the line?
Are there some things we could do ourselves?
What has to or should absolutely be done by a dealer or other service shop?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do some of my own and shop do the rest

Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by iMSeRiOuS
Where do we draw the line?
Are there some things we could do ourselves?
What has to or should absolutely be done by a dealer or other service shop?

Are you `SeRiOus LOL
Where do you draw the line? The line is $'s..If U can 2 do it yourself, U will save Big $'s..

Are there some things we could do ourselves ? Yes, if you have the basic tools, time, Auto Manual Helps, friends, good jack & stands...etc

What should be done by the dealer ? Only the things that you or a good private auto shop can't `do...Dealer service is always expensive 4-Sure..

Below are a few things to consider, & I hope our member's post their comments & suggestion...Oh, it's a good Thread, and great questions...What have you been doing so far ?
Good Luck & I wish everyone a way 2 save $'s on keeping their Monte in Top shape...Peace `Out

Performing Regular Maintenance

Don't forget the maintenance! It's the little things that count, and checking a few of these little things off your list will put you ahead of the game, and ease the pain in your wallet. Most maintenance checks only take a minute, and most maintenance tasks can be tackled in an afternoon. Don't maintain your car and you'll pay the price down the road.
  1. Tire Buyer's Guide (5)
  1. Seasonal (3)
How to Safely Wax Your Car

If your car is more than 3 years old, you need to have a layer of wax protection to keep your paint safe. Waxing your car can add years to the life of your car's paint job and let it really shine in the meantime. Wax protects your car from all sorts of things like weather, road debris, rocks, neighborhood kids, etc. If it's time to wax your car, be sure you know how to do it right so that you don't damage your car's expensive paint finish. Buff it to a shine!

Fix Your Warm A/C: Recharge Your Air Conditioning with Freon

If your air conditioning is warm, you're mad about having warm AC. A/C is important in the summer, and you can recharge your own air conditioning by adding freon yourself. It's easy to add freon to charge your car's ac system so that you will be finished with warm air conditioning. If you use R134 instead of the older R12 refrigerant, you're in luck.

Stay On Top of Maintenance With a Regular Maintenance Schedule

Regular maintenance is vital to keeping your car out of the shop. If you keep a regular maintenance schedule and checklist you'll always stay on track and avoid costly repairs. Maintenance intervals are a good way to keep on top of things.

How To Replace a PCV Valve

If your PCV valve becomes clogged, your car's performance will suiffer. Poor idling, loss of gas mileage, slow acceleration, loss of power - all of these things can be caused by a clogged PCV valve. Replacing your PCV valve is not hard at all, and it's a repair that will make a difference in the long run.

How To Clean Your ABS Wheel Sensor

Your ABS light can be a pain in the neck. The ABS light can be triggered by a number of ABS symptoms. Before you decide to take the car in for some serious service, you might want to take a look at your ABS wheel sensors. If they are dirty, they can cause the ABS light to appear.

How To Prevent Corrosion in Electrical Connections

Corrosion can be the death of any electrical system. To prevent corrosion you need to keep your electrical connections clean and keep them that way. A corroded battery or electrical connection will mean that you are not getting a good connection to the battery, so your headlights, tail lights, brakes, air conditioning -- anything electrical can be affected.

Replace Your Fuel Filter

Your fuel filter is your engine's safety net. Auto repairs can be avoided by keeping a clean fuel filter installed. It takes no time at all to replace your fuel filter, and avoiding the expensive auto repairs that can result from dirty gas is well worth the time.

Synthetic Oil: Scam or Real Deal?

Look on the shelf of your local auto parts house and you'll see more oils than breakfast cereal choices at the supermarket. It wasn't so long ago that you had about a half dozen to pick from, and since they were all made from the same gunk, it didn't matter much anyway. Then in the early 1970s popped up a new batch of lubricants -- synthetic oils.

Do Your Own Oil Change

An oil change is the single most important auto maintenance job you can do for your car. The oil change may be basic, but without it you don't need brakes. It's easy and inexpensive to do your own oil change, and we will show you how with easy instructions and step by step photos.

Sponsored Links

Brevard Vehicle RepairsBring Your Vehicle in for Tune Ups, Maintenance, Hose & Belt Repairs! www.gattos.biz
Automobile MaintenanceReplace shocks and struts with Monroe to maintain your automobile. www.monroe.com/50000Mile

Performing a Timing Belt Inspection

A visual inspection of your timing belt is always a good idea. Checking your timing belt every 10,000 miles is important, and changing your timing belt at the manufacturer's designated mileage intervals is a must. Failing to do so can result in bent valves and other expensive engine damage.

Why You Should Change Your Wipers Today

Windshield wipers go bad, and when they do you're car's safety suffers. You should replace your windshield wipers at least twice a year, and by installing new windshield wipers you'll be doing yourself and everybody else on the road a favor. Besides, it's so easy to do, you don't have to wait for an oil change or brakes to change your windshield wipers.

How to Perform a Radiator Flush

It's important to keep your car's radiator and cooling system clean. Performing a radiator flush at least once a year stops corrosion from building up in your radiator, keeping things nice and cool. This simple step-by-step car radiator flush is the key to good radiator health.

Why You Should Change Your Wipers Today

Windshield wipers go bad, and when they do you're car's safety suffers. You should replace your windshield wipers at least twice a year, and by installing new windshield wipers you'll be doing yourself and everybody else on the road a favor. Besides, it's so easy to do, you don't have to wait for an oil change or brakes to change your windshield wipers.

Check Your Power Steering Fluid

There's no reason to drive around with malfunctioning power steering. Got a case of the squeals when you turn the steering wheel? Pretty sure it isn't your brakes? Find out if it's a simple fix by checking your power steering fluid level. It's not just a convenience, it's a safety issue if your power steering fails.

Keep Your Brakes at Full Force

There are a few tips you need to know before you check your brake fluid or add a little to the top. Your brakes are sensitive and you could screw things up if you aren't careful. Don't skimp on the maintenance side of your brakes. We'll help make it easy.

Clean Battery Posts = Reliable Starting

If your battery posts are all cruddy, systems in your car can grind to a halt electrically. The most important function of your battery is starting the engine, but if your battery is covered with corrosion often times you can't get a good connection, and thus no start. Even with a jump start, you'll be in the same boat next time you get in the car. Cleaning your battery posts doesn't take any time at all, and the rewards can be large.

Checking and Filling Your Coolant

Don't let your car run hot because it's low on coolant. It's easy to check the coolant level in your radiator. It should be part of your regular maintenance routine and only takes a second.

Get Sparked!

Your car relies on the spark plugs to keep things running smoothly, cleanly and efficiently. Spark plugs wear out every 10,000 miles or so, and with them goes your gas mileage and engine power. Luckily, replacing them is a 15-minute job that doesn't cost much at all. Check out this simple tutorial and get to it!

Plug Wire Check!

A short in your plug wire can cause your car to run rough, affect your gas mileage adversely and even cause dangerous situations under the hood! Regular inspection of the wires will avoid this, just be sure to know what to look for.

Top Off Your Washer Fluid

Washer fluid can help keep your windshield clean in the summer and ice-free in the winter. It's easy to top it off so you know you won't run out when you really need some window juice!

Checking & Removing Your Wheel Bolts

You should check the tightness of the lug bolts on all four wheels on a regular basis. If you have had any work done on the car, be sure to double check after 10 or 20 miles. Properly checking them will make your car safe.

Inspect Your Brakes!

Brakes are pretty much the most important safety device on your car. If you've even partially lost your brakes in the past, you'll remember the change of underwear that followed. Inspecting your brakes twice a year for wear and damage can protect you and your passengers while saving you money by catching any damage before it becomes too costly.

When You Need to Add a Quart ...

Sometimes you need to top off your engine's oil. It's easy, and doesn't even have to be messy. Follow our tips and you won't make any mistakes.

Change Your Air Filter

Your car needs to breathe, and forcing the poor thing to breathe through a thick, smelly sock just isn't fair! Not to mention the effect a clogged air filter has on your gas mileage. Be sure to change your filter on a regular basis. We'll show you how to knock it out in 10 minutes.

Check Your Oil!

Checking your oil is the single most important thing you can do to extend the life of your car and keep your engine healthy. Check out these tips on how to do it safely and correctly. You'll save big money on repair bills.

Last edited by Space; 03-18-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

What Space listed is all good to do. If you don't know how to do somethings! Post on here. Theirs always someone to help you. I've worked on cars & truck & HARLEY's all my adult life. And theres somethings I'll let some else do. if you have to go to someone. Check out their labor price per hr. You can save a little doing that. If its a big thing. Most dealers might co$t more. But it real close. But if they have to keep it for a while. say 4 hrs or more. You can get a lonener car. I have a good place in town It's "Precision auto repair." I went and checked them out. What I like about it is. That I can walk back there and take to them while I'm getting something done to one of my 4 cars. I did that this winter when I 1st got the Monte. It was too damn cold to do some of the stuff. So I went and talked to them. They sounded cool. Seem to know what they were talking about. Now I have no proble going in there. I even took the Chevelle to them very early in the morning to do some work I couldn't do with out a hoist. Thats another good reason to join a car club. Theres a lot of great guys out there willing to help you. And have plenty of answers. Hope this helps you some what.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member

After calling the dealership to ask them how much to do some work was going to cost, I've suddenly been inspired to buy some jack stands and my own damn parts.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do everything that I can. Somethings I just don't have the tools for yet so I have to pay a shop the labor costs.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

i try and do what i can, I've never messed with the brakes/rotors which i hear is a pretty easy thing to learn but when it comes to oil changes, exhaust, stereo stuff, and the sort i'm always doing it. For one it's WAY cheaper and for two, I always get a good feeling knowing that I did it and didn't take it somewhere just because it'd be easier to have them do it. now when it comes to motor work, or anything that would involve a lift or some serious know how. . . . .i'd rather not be the one to screw it up

Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

My fiance and I do oil changes, brake fluid changes, coolant change, supercharger oil change and we are going to flush out some of the trans fluid, rotate tires. I haven't had anything major happen to the car yet but if that would come up I would have to get that done at a shop.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

I wish I could do more, if I had the space available (garage)! I found a couple people who will do work on my car on the side and I pretty much think they are honest when I need something done? I figure if there are any problems with their work I'll be able to take it back to them?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I do my own maintenance , But I'am an auto tech for usps...

Quick Reply: Does it really pay to do your own maintenance?