General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Dash lifting repair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 04:08 AM

Small 4" C-clamps are enough to get eveyrthing by the edges.

Name:  KPT8IbO.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  2.59 MB

and

Name:  1ngSW7R.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  2.63 MB

Old 11-05-2016, 12:27 PM

See where I have the little dimple at the "V".

Need to be careful not to distort the padding.

This pic is from today and still holding very well.

Attached Thumbnails Dash lifting repair?-20161105_130015%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 11-06-2016, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by xpage
Small 4" C-clamps are enough to get eveyrthing by the edges.

and

Okay, I really need to learn to read more carefully.

For those of us who REFUSE to remove the dashboard? Who have asked repeatedly, with no response, how in the f**k we are supposed to get a ratchet into the two-inch space between the windshield and the dash at the front?

What do we do?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 96z34man

For those of us who REFUSE to remove the dashboard? Who have asked repeatedly, with no response, how we are supposed to get a ratchet into the two-inch space between the windshield and the dash at the front?

What do we do?
I've had the entire dash out of my Monte to get the HVAC module out and replace the evaporator core. That space is tight, but if I recall, I used my lowest profile ratchet with a shallow socket. And I believe the most challenging of that bolts where in the corners. I want to say I had the doors open and operated the ratchet from outside the car looking in through the windshield.
Honestly, pulling the dash and guts out to do what I did was easy (just takes time and patients). But the fear of getting it back together properly was my problem, but I succeeded.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maniac, ive tried to explain to 96z34 time and again that you can reach the bolts and he just wont accept it. Ive done it, you , and I'm sure many others but he just cant get it across to him.
I did it from inside, its no problem. just a shallow 10mm on a 1/4 ratchet is all needed. Takes 10 minutes if you waste 8 of em lol.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by 96z34man

For those of us who REFUSE to remove the dashboard? Who have asked repeatedly, with no response, how in the f**k we are supposed to get a ratchet into the two-inch space between the windshield and the dash at the front?

What do we do?

Might be able to take out the screws in the front and lift the dash slightly to get a clamp's underside underneath the dash. Everybody is right a small 1/4 socket wrench and normal side (ie. not the long) socket will work. I used a 1" socket extension at the beginning until i was hitting the window and scraped some skin off my knuckle.

See my new post in the repair forum on taking off the top dash. nobody posted anything like it so far. as i know on the entire internet ----> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...82/#post697132

Last edited by xpage; 11-07-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:07 PM

So, after failing all else, I tried to use the methods recommended here. I pried up on the black panel by the windshield and all the clips popped.

It still won't come out.

What's the next step now?

Old 05-16-2017, 11:25 PM

Old 08-26-2017, 05:45 AM

I have a Black Dash Pad from a 2007 Monte SS that is not pulled up that I'm selling. Both pieces are included. A local salvage yard told me they had one for my Monte. They would not let me in the yard to look at it so they removed it for me. I told them I need Dark Grey and the one they brought out was Black. I wasn't about to argue with the guy about the color. I bought it anyway hoping I could help out a fellow Monte owner who may need it.

Price????????

Last edited by tmirisola; 08-28-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by tmirisola
I have a Black Dash Pad from a 2007 Monte SS that is not pulled up that I'm selling. Both pieces are included. A local salvage yard told me they had one for my Monte. They would not let me in the yard to look at it so they removed it for me. I told them I need Dark Grey and the one they brought out was Black. I wasn't about to argue with the guy about the color. I bought it anyway hoping I could help out a fellow Monte owner who may need it.

Contact me via the Forum and I will send pictures then discuss price and shipping if necessary.
PM'ed you. very interested.