General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Dash lifting repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 07:56 AM

Yesterday I had the gauge trim piece out to repair the vent flaps so with this trim out of the way there is pretty decent access

What I did and will update if repair sustained when I get time:

- I used brake part cleaner to clean both the under side of the lifting dash pad and the surface of the hard plastic under board. Brake part cleaner attacks plastic so I am hoping it roughed up the surface to promote better adherence
- used two part epoxy (syringe) mixed it up on a board and used a paint brush to layer copious amounts of epoxy onto both surfaces
- using a carpenters clamp with a piece of cardboard to protect the soft surface of the dash trim clamped it together for 4 hours.
- watch this one though as I did leave a small dent in the softer dash of which looks like it is going away but I should have used a larger piece.

NOTE: I did use JB weld a few months ago and it did not hold up at all.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not sure if anyone is aware or not, but as several others here I also own an 06 SS and an 06 LT monte carlo. The LT dash pad was coming up at the center defrost vent at the windshield. For ****s and grins I was at the local pull a part last weekend. there was an 00 and an 01 Monte sitting a few rows apart. I noticed the dash pads looked mighty close visually to my 06 dash pads. So I pulled one off of one of the cars. Brought it home and low and behold its a perfect fit. Upon further research the top dash pads are the same part number 2000-07 lol. So for $28 and about 30 minute of time to figure out how it came off now I have a perfect dash pad.
The plastic trim piece at the windshield bottom pulls off just clips hold those in place.
The dash pad itself there are 2 bolts on the ends by the fuse panel covers. those take a 7mm socket. And 4 along the top that require a 10mm. then she slides right off.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 PM

Been a few hot days, dash pad still holding so my repair still good.

It is good to know that the older cars fir.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2016, 05:19 AM

Still good and we have had some serious heat this summer.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by montedd
Still good and we have had some serious heat this summer.
Great news, thanks for the updates.

Is there any noticeable smell from the epoxy?

Old 09-28-2016, 09:22 PM

For maybe one day.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:30 AM

You never said, what is the brand of epoxy that worked?

Old 11-02-2016, 11:48 PM

I just took the top dash off my monte, I used Gorilla epxoy and clamped it down with some cardboard to spread the load on the V area. After 4 hours I started on the side by the rear defrost area. Sadly the first bit by the V area started to pop up, so I used some HDX superglue once i reclamped it. Putting the HDX on the edges, let it dry then added another layer.

So far it came out well, dash is back in. I will make a write up with pics in the repair section once I get my issues with my new ignition cylinder fixed.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by 96z34man
You never said, what is the brand of epoxy that worked?
I used the stuff from Harbor Freight

Old 11-04-2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by xpage
I just took the top dash off my monte, I used Gorilla epxoy and clamped it down with some cardboard to spread the load on the V area. After 4 hours I started on the side by the rear defrost area. Sadly the first bit by the V area started to pop up, so I used some HDX superglue once i reclamped it. Putting the HDX on the edges, let it dry then added another layer.

So far it came out well, dash is back in. I will make a write up with pics in the repair section once I get my issues with my new ignition cylinder fixed.
How, exactly. does on "clamp [anything] down with cardboard?" I read montedd's post above where he talks about using a clamp AND cardboard, but I have never in my life seen a clamp big enough to clamp that piece of pad down--it would have to clamp up on the bottom of the dash, which is what, at least 18" below?

HELP!