General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Dash lifting repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Default Dash lifting repair?

Dash pad lifting in center at the "V" above the two center air vents.

Not bad yet but will continue to lift.

My thoughts are:

- glue gun?
- 3M double side tape?
- JB Quick weld

Has anyone come up with a fix that lasted?

Old 07-03-2016, 10:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have not experienced that yet. It might be easier to replace it with a good one from the junk yard. From what I have seen, there are a lot of good ones you could probably grab from a junk yard (as I don't believe adhesive break down on the vinyl is common at the moment).

I know the 3rd gen Camaros/Firebirds had a big problem with that on the door arm rests because GM mid generation changed to a glue that did not hold up. I believe those guys had to pull the piece off, add a better glue and use clamps to hold it down to set.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Common problem, not sure if there is any real solution besides replacement.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

I have the same thing, been putting some thought into it. Would not use 3M sticky tape or hot melt glue - the temperature of the dash in the hot sun would cause a quick failure I think.

Contact cement is another idea that the temperature thing has against it.

I'd be willing to try an epoxy, slather some on both pieces then press down with a jig made of one flat board pressing on the pad and another board wedged between the first board and the windshield/headliner.

Or just re-mount my cellphone holder to block the view of the gap. :p

Old 07-04-2016, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Barovelli
I have the same thing, been putting some thought into it. Would not use 3M sticky tape or hot melt glue - the temperature of the dash in the hot sun would cause a quick failure I think.

Contact cement is another idea that the temperature thing has against it.

I'd be willing to try an epoxy, slather some on both pieces then press down with a jig made of one flat board pressing on the pad and another board wedged between the first board and the windshield/headliner.

Or just re-mount my cellphone holder to block the view of the gap. :p

Same thoughts I have been having around the higher temps on glue and 3M tape.

JB Quick might be the way to go as it sets up pretty fast otherwise if I want effectiveness I would have to "jig it up" like you suggest and have to wait 24 hours to be sure.

I will update results.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:13 PM

10 Year Member

To do a good repair job would probably require removing the dash pad.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:07 PM

I just repaired mine today. i used jb kwik weld. Its a 2 part epoxy. I would recommend removing the dash for best results. I also rough up the hard plastic base before application. The epoxy needs a rough surface for mechanical adhesion. I place a steel plate on top the pad, apllied the epoxy between the base and pad, and clamp them together. The steel plate was used to distribute the load on the pad by the clamp.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:00 AM

I have simply come to terms with the fact that GM can't make a dash that won't crack or warp over some period of undetermined time, and while I did put a lot of thought in to it, trim pieces are the one thing I don't sweat. Why, you ask - because I can absolutely see myself just breaking it more.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:58 PM

10 Year Member

I would not pin this as just a GM thing. A lot of vendors have had faults over the years. Just depends when you look and who you look at.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I would not pin this as just a GM thing. A lot of vendors have had faults over the years. Just depends when you look and who you look at.
Well, yes true. Not an insult against the car as a whole at all - in fact, if that's my biggest interior problem or complaint, I remain a happy camper.

In the world of Saturns, lots of plastic bits faded, warped, chipped or cracked and it was a part of general life.