General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

CRASH! Aw dang! #sad_day

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's awful Barovelli! So sorry for your loss. It's probably silly for us to be so attached to our cars as though they were our children, but when something like this happens it really hits you in the gut. Any thought's on what the replacement might be? I've known of a few other Monte owner's this has happened to and they bought the car back from the insurance company for $100. Maybe you could find a nice low miles Monte and have a parts car.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is certainly repairable, but the insurance company will probably write it off. This low VOC paint is damn expensive, hard to spray and will be hard to color match to your car. So to do it properly, the whole thing will need painting. Which is more than the insurance company will want to pay.
But it's probably a great buy-back car. It could even be profitable if you don't mind the car being imperfect. If it's driving well still, bang out what you can, putty 'er up and paint with single stage spray bombs. It won't cost that much (probably less than the insurance pay out), but it'll never be a collector car again.

Sorry about your luck

Old 05-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Always a sad day when someone hurts a Monte. Sorry for you having to go through this.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I am surprised at how little I feel agents do anymore. Last couple of times I needed a house/car claim, my agent also handed off to a call center. Kinda makes me wanna ask "why do I have an agent, I can use the phone the same way"....

Old 05-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Small update
Called the other driver for insurance information - voice mail.
Insurance company called me for a few more questions and to tell me they tried contacting the other driver and he he'd call back. Ya know what I'm thinking?
I revealed to the insurance company that I have a dash cam video showing the the other driver not signaling and moving over to my lane. "Please preserve that evidence" they asked.

Got a bit of tire rub on right turns with any kind of dip in the road, like driveways. Get out the hammer, this is gonna hurt me more than it does the car.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member

Got the estimate today. $4,693.61. Aint looking good.

Attached Thumbnails CRASH! Aw dang! #sad_day-grim_reaper_monte.jpg  
Old 05-22-2017, 09:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

That is really not sounding good. Keep us updated. Sad when this is not even your fault.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Sorry to see this, I know what it feels like. I hope everything works out for you.

It's sad but you can't trust anyone else on the road. Nobody cares, nobody takes responsibility, nobody leaves proper stopping distance, nobody thinks ahead or really pays attention to 'driving' and it shows with the way people drive. I realize that these are called 'accidents' but I'd say a good majority could be avoided if someone was paying attention or didn't make a dangerous maneuver. It's surprising the amount of people that would rather risk an accident than avoid one and miss their exit, turn, etc. and re-route. Just a few weeks ago I had a lady cut across two lanes of traffic right in front of me to make her exit, while I was pulling our boat and, of course, she was going at least 5-10 mph slower than me so she didn't miss it so I had to slam the brakes. And actually a lot of people were driving and cutting in front of me like I was driving a small car and could stop in an instance if I needed. I deal with tailgaters and the 'constant lane changer' everyday and, honestly, they really don't get much further ahead. Crappy driving is so widespread today - really an epidemic.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 05-23-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member

So I am reading the the local newspaper's web site this morning. There's an article about the sheriffs evicting a group of homeless that live in RVs, cars and tents just north of my hometown city limits. One of the quoted down on their luck types is THE GUY THAT RAN INTO ME.

Lesson to be learned. If the other driver in a minor crash "left their proof of insurance at home" CALL THE COPS. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

ok. Anger rant over. Waiting for State Farm..

Old 05-24-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
I deal with tailgaters and the 'constant lane changer' everyday and, honestly, they really don't get much further ahead. Crappy driving is so widespread today - really an epidemic.
I like your outlook on "today's driver".. It seems those very people are the ones you end up right behind 10 minutes later....

@Barovelli Its sad to see kindness backfire like that.. I know how bad this can suck also.. My last monte was totaled by a damn mini cooper.. I ended up with parts of his engine in my engine bay.

Made for a kinda funny "my monte has a turbo in it", joke.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Quick Reply: CRASH! Aw dang! #sad_day