General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Couple General Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Default Couple General Questions

First off, which is the most imortant.. Ive had my car (07 lt 3.5) for almost 2 years. Got it brand new and have already put 50,000 miles on it. In the past month I have had to jump it off twice due to a dead battery. The only thing I leave on is my radar detector but it cant be pulling much power right? Well I havent had to have it jumped in 2 weeks now but I feel that is due to me putting alot hwy miles on it and that the battery is getting charged on the highway. But the past few mornings it has had trouble starting and the computer is always reading CAL. Which means its calibrating yet ive driven 1500 miles in the last 4 days and twice it has told me that calibration was complete.

SO this is obviously a battery problem right? It just needs to be replaced I assume.. So if thats the case what battery do yall recomend and how much will it set me back?

My second question has to do with my tire pressure monitors. I got new tires forever ago and I guess the people at big ten broke one or somethin because when i got the car back they would not work and more with the new tires. I took it to the chevy place and they wanted 200 bucks to fix them and honestly I could care less about having them. The only annoying thing is the "service tire montior system" light and message that pops up on the dash. So my question is can a place like auto zone erase that code? Or does it have to be tuned to have that gotten rid of?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You probably just need a new battery. The battery in my 06 3.5L went after 2 years of me owning it (literally 2 years almost to the date!) Kinda sucks, batteries should last more like 5 years, but must have been a bad batch by Ac Delco. Anyway, replace your battery, and you should be good to go. I bought a store brand battery from All Parts Auto, has a 3 year free replacement warranty, and 7 year pro-rated warranty. It was $80 bucks after tax.

As far as your TPS, I doubt you can have that deleted...but I could be wrong.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've heard these 7th Gens have had battery issues... So most likely you will just need a new battery. Having it start to fail more is probably because it's not a great battery and cold starts (mornings) are the hardest.

As for your Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) each individual tire would have needed to have the sensor put in, which it sounds like was not done. So with out the sensors the car's computer (PCM) is reading an error. The only way to remove that is with a reprogramming of your PCM with tuning software unfortunately. Honestly I would get the sensors put in your wheels. Knowing each tire pressure without having to check them all the time is a great thing. Especially this time of the year.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Personally I would get an OPTIMA battery. I really like the one I put in my Camaro
4 yrs. ago. Plenty of power.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:45 PM

have you tried to recent the sensors? there is a way to do it. its in the manual. that is if they reused your old valve stems and what not. i personally tried it and couldnt get it to work after the rim swap. you do it through the dic and the horn honks when you start and honks when your done. your supposed to fill the tires in a set order. i dont have my manual at hand but look through it and youll find it. give that a shot.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For as long as I've been a member on this forum, I've heard tons of issues with the factory 2006 & 2007 batteries.

I second the recommendation for an optima battery. The battery selector on Optima's website recommends this Optima Red Top for your car:

Part Number: 25 (9025-160)

RedTop®; Battery; BOXED; Group 25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;

But personally, I think the yellow top is a better choice with all the electrical accessories in the Monte Carlos.