General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Cool finds at the junkyard :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012 | 06:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member

Those do look really good! Nice work Frank!! The time I saw these on a Grand Prix they were just cleaned and slapped in the car "as is". This is FAR better!!

Old 05-21-2012 | 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

They came out great Frank. I was gonna say to paint the inside where the rubber bushing is so you didnt have to polish it up but It looks like you cant even see it on the car. I was thinking about getting some aluminum flat bar and making my own fender braces. I think home depot sells it and you could cut it with a jigsaw with a metal blade.

Old 05-21-2012 | 09:00 AM
|

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
Looks great! Awesome work
Thanks man

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Those do look really good! Nice work Frank!! The time I saw these on a Grand Prix they were just cleaned and slapped in the car "as is". This is FAR better!!
Thanks Jason

Originally Posted by lougreen03
They came out great Frank. I was gonna say to paint the inside where the rubber bushing is so you didnt have to polish it up but It looks like you cant even see it on the car. I was thinking about getting some aluminum flat bar and making my own fender braces. I think home depot sells it and you could cut it with a jigsaw with a metal blade.

Thanks Lou! the aluminum is cleaned up well so it blends in all together

And I was thinking the EXACT SAME on the fender braces!! because that's all it is, like the ones mitch had for sale haha

Old 05-23-2012 | 07:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Looks good Frank!

Old 05-23-2012 | 08:32 AM
|

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Looks good Frank!
Thanks mike

Old 05-27-2012 | 03:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
Here's the installed pics and it matches my STB lol
i also went ahead and flipped the bushing in them, car feels pretty good. hopefully that 1/4" it moved the engine forward will eliminate the small vibration for when i lower my monte (again)

also notice i replaced my ugly hood insulator with one in better condition haha

Frank , I like how that Looks . I went an got a set today ..
Now I just have to trim them up & sand & buff..

Old 05-27-2012 | 03:48 PM
|

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by zjerry
Frank , I like how that Looks . I went an got a set today ..
Now I just have to trim them up & sand & buff..
Thanks Jerry youre going to have fun with them haha
mine are holding up really nice and still havent cracked, which i hightly doubt they will

Old 05-27-2012 | 11:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
mine are holding up really nice and still havent cracked, which i hightly doubt they will
I do agree with your original thoughts that the 2-bolt design should hold up just fine, they really are not under a great deal of pressure.

It does make me wonder though, why did GM use different radiator mounts on W-bodies with 3400 vs 3800....
I would think from the stance of "mass production", one style would be all they should want to produce.

BTW - We discussed those early style dog bones (with spherical bushings on both ends and the required unattractive rad mounts). I am currently driving my Monte with WBS solid "poly" bushings in the dog bones AND the radiator mounts. I don't know how it compares to "flipping" the bushing on the rad mount OR those earlier w-body bushings, but I do notice the vibration in the cabin a lot more (not horrible, I am kinda used to it a bit, makes me think of a "muscle car"). BUT what it seemed to help with is providing a more solid "launch" from a dead or rolling stop. Just neat, nothing "huge" outside of that.

Old 05-28-2012 | 09:42 AM
|

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I do agree with your original thoughts that the 2-bolt design should hold up just fine, they really are not under a great deal of pressure.

It does make me wonder though, why did GM use different radiator mounts on W-bodies with 3400 vs 3800....
I would think from the stance of "mass production", one style would be all they should want to produce.

BTW - We discussed those early style dog bones (with spherical bushings on both ends and the required unattractive rad mounts). I am currently driving my Monte with WBS solid "poly" bushings in the dog bones AND the radiator mounts. I don't know how it compares to "flipping" the bushing on the rad mount OR those earlier w-body bushings, but I do notice the vibration in the cabin a lot more (not horrible, I am kinda used to it a bit, makes me think of a "muscle car"). BUT what it seemed to help with is providing a more solid "launch" from a dead or rolling stop. Just neat, nothing "huge" outside of that.
hmm dont know why gm did that :p

those poly bushings im sure do provide a more solid feel, flipping the orginal bushing probably doesnt come close to what the poly ones provide. mostly because its 2 diff materials and the rubber still allows some play in the mount :p
i want to get some red poly bushings for my mounts soon, just because they'll look nice in there

Old 05-29-2012 | 05:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Hey , Frank they use that mount on chevy uplanders too..3900 engine..

Quick Reply: Cool finds at the junkyard :)