General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

constantly blows the same fuse

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
DO NOT PUT A BIGGER FUSE IN. Do any of you know the reason behind having a specific amp fuse? ***to limit the amps it draws***
Ding-Ding! My thoughts exact as I was reading this. First order of business in my book, ensure the correct amp fuse is in place. If the factory calls for a 15amp and a 10amp is installed, this could be part of why the fuse is popping (10amp is under rated for the circuit). BUT, if the factory calls for 15amp and you have a 15amp do NOT increase the amp fuse. It may seem safe at first, but z34phoenix has a very big point (same point applies to your home electrical wiring.
If you draw more amps then the wiring is meant for, the wiring will get hot, next step is melting the seething following by needing the fire department.

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
1 how was your cd player wired in with your horn? Did they just tap off the fuse?

I sugest switching the power lead for the cd player to a aux spot and put an in line fuse for it
This is an excellent suggestion. I know sometimes I've tapped into power sources for things in cars, but they never caused the circuit to exceed it's amp draw.

If you have the correct amp fuse, you either have:
- Bad ground
- Short somewhere
- Something drawing too many amps (could be the radio pulling more amps for bass hits, even a none-thumping stereo needs juice for bass)
- Failing component drawing too many amps (such as the horn itself may be malfunctioning)

Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM

well im just assuming at this point that the radio and horn are on the same fuse because when the horn doesnt work the radio doesnt eaither lol. how it got that way dont ask me my grandmother had her ex boyfriend put in an after market deck in the car. i think that since i think the radio is dying its blowing the fuse. i need to rip that pos out of there.