General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Buying my first monte

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Default Buying my first monte

Ok so I found this white 03 SS with 135k at a local dealer for 4299 I was just wondering what are some things I should look out for and if is a good buy I didn't get to really see it yet because I went yesterday and the guy said that the paint was cracked on the bumper so he sunt it to get repainted http://neworleans.craigslist.org/ctd/4743951634.html
But I I've also did more research and found a carfax report on the car and found that it has been in a few accidents with a total loss but it was rebuilt and had no structural damage http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=VAS_0&vin=2G1WX12K239169871
We've had a car with a rebuilt title before and had no problems with it until the transmission went out (never buy honda or Acura ) but I really just needed another persons input on the situation

Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First just looking at the pic, the fender looks pretty messed up. And if the seller was not up front about the car being in accidents and being a total loss, I would walk away (sounds like a lot of stuff is being hidden).

I'm not bothered by rebuilt cars if the work was done right. My winter car is a 04 grand am that was totaled in 06, rebuilt and retired. The car is close to mint (and I've gone through it with a fine tooth comb before and after buying it and the seller disclosed it was a rebuild).

2 lessons I learned after I bought this rebuilt car:
1 - even if the car is mint, a lot of insurance companies do not want to give you full coverage. Being totaled the insurance companies see the car as "high risk".
2 - because of item #1, you should be able to negotiate the car for well under the value of the car if it was a clean title. The issue is if you can't get full coverage on a car that you pay big money for, then you are not able to properly protect your investment.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Walk away, you could find something in better shape for the same money or even a little less.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
First just looking at the pic, the fender looks pretty messed up. And if the seller was not up front about the car being in accidents and being a total loss, I would walk away (sounds like a lot of stuff is being hidden).

I'm not bothered by rebuilt cars if the work was done right. My winter car is a 04 grand am that was totaled in 06, rebuilt and retired. The car is close to mint (and I've gone through it with a fine tooth comb before and after buying it and the seller disclosed it was a rebuild).

2 lessons I learned after I bought this rebuilt car:
1 - even if the car is mint, a lot of insurance companies do not want to give you full coverage. Being totaled the insurance companies see the car as "high risk".
2 - because of item #1, you should be able to negotiate the car for well under the value of the car if it was a clean title. The issue is if you can't get full coverage on a car that you pay big money for, then you are not able to properly protect your investment.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the info I went to see the car today and they guy was like it was a 5.3 when I know it's a 3.8 I just went along with his information I'm going to wait and see how far he goes with his lies and pull out the car fax so how much would you think to offer for it in your opinion

Old 11-04-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Walk away, you could find something in better shape for the same money or even a little less.
I know I can find something but this is the only car lot that will accept 250$ down I'm only 17 and I really wanted an 06 or better but I gotta start somewhere and this is better than a honda ��

Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kicks23icey
Thanks for the info I went to see the car today and they guy was like it was a 5.3 when I know it's a 3.8 I just went along with his information I'm going to wait and see how far he goes with his lies and pull out the car fax so how much would you think to offer for it in your opinion
Honestly, I think you vested more time then you need on this car. Just walk away. Personally, if I went as far to look at the car in person and the seller told me it had a 5.3 in it, I would have popped the hood, called their bluff right there (and laid out anything else I new to be false).

Plenty of other Montes in better shape without people telling a bunch of false information about them.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I know I'm late jumping in on this one, but just judging from the pic alone, for that price I wouldn't touch the car. The damage alone would make me walk away as it needs the fender repaired as well as the front bumper, so odd are the car was not very well looked after by the previous owner. The fact that the salesman tried to tell you it had a 5.3 in it, is another huge red light, as either he is lying through his teeth to sell a car (insert car salesman jokes here) or he obviously knows nothing about cars, which is another warning sign.

The fact that it is a reclaimed vehicle is probably another reason I would stay away as my guess would be the damage that is still on the car happened after it was already fixed, which is another sign the previous owner didn't do anything good to and for the car. I wouldn't have a problem buying a reclaimed car if it was in great condition, but this one has too many red lights flashing for it to be worthwhile pursuing.

just my 2 cents worth

There has to be other places that sell vehicles with little or no money down, so I would take some time and check around. Also the price on the car is way too high for the condition it is in. Up here you would probably pay about 800 for a car in that condition

Last edited by ohara; 11-05-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ohara
I know I'm late jumping in on this one, but just judging from the pic alone, for that price I wouldn't touch the car. The damage alone would make me walk away as it needs the fender repaired as well as the front bumper, so odd are the car was not very well looked after by the previous owner. The fact that the salesman tried to tell you it had a 5.3 in it, is another huge red light, as either he is lying through his teeth to sell a car (insert car salesman jokes here) or he obviously knows nothing about cars, which is another warning sign.

The fact that it is a reclaimed vehicle is probably another reason I would stay away as my guess would be the damage that is still on the car happened after it was already fixed, which is another sign the previous owner didn't do anything good to and for the car. I wouldn't have a problem buying a reclaimed car if it was in great condition, but this one has too many red lights flashing for it to be worthwhile pursuing.

just my 2 cents worth

There has to be other places that sell vehicles with little or no money down, so I would take some time and check around. Also the price on the car is way too high for the condition it is in. Up here you would probably pay about 800 for a car in that condition
I'm guessing you live in the north
We basically get all of your winter cars just refurbished or sum down south

Old 11-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yes I'm up in the Great White North lol

Here are some examples of what you can get in that price range

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Coupe (2 door) | cars & trucks | City of Toronto | Kijiji

2000 Monte Carlo SS | cars & trucks | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

Actually these would be cheaper with the exchange rate and all