General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Buying Monte Carlo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Default Buying Monte Carlo!

Hey Guys!

I have just recently went and looked at a 2000 (i was told) Monte Carlo LS. I saw it sitting by the road and decided to get a closer look. The car has 60000 miles and was in decent shape. When I test drove it, there was a faint knock in the steering wheel. Anybody have any idea to what this is or how major of a repair it may be? After getting home and looking around, I became little confused with the options this one had. It was equipped with dual climate control and from what I have found on the internet, the 2000 Monte Carlo LS didnt' have this. Is this true? What other things should I look for when looking at this Monte Carlo? What are some common problems? What are your guys' overall review of the car? I just want to be knowledgeable before making an offer on the car. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks again!
Eric

Old 08-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: Buying Monte Carlo!

Most of the newer GM cars/trucks I have been in have an odd clunk in the wheel. I was always under the impression it was the collapsable steering collumn. All my dad's GMC work trucks have had this problem, even his 07 sierra SLT. I drove a bonneville SSei and a impala SS at work and both also had this problem. Seems fairly common to me. Next time you look at the car, open the door and look at the sticker. In the top corner it should have the manufacture date. It usually runs from july or august of the previous year to july oraugust of the current year. Ex. A 2000 should have a production date between july or august of 99 and july or august of 2000.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Eric. Welcome to the web site.

The '00-05 Montes are suppose to have a problem with some intermediate shaft that's part of the steering. If you remove and grease it heavily, this is suppose to take care of this noise on the car.

The '03 PAce car we bought back in may of this year has this as well. And the Pontiac dealership we bought the car at swears they removed this intermediate shaft and greased it as part of their inspection when they got it. (I kind of question any work they say they did to the car before we bought it)

If this LS has the 3.4 engine other's say to watch out as this engine has an intake manifold problem that requires the intake be removed and replaced with a new gasket. See if this work has been done (with a receipt to prove it) before you buy the car should it have the 3.4 engine under the hood?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 AM

Hi Eric,
Welcome to the MCF
The below link may help you with information on a
2000LS. Also MSN Auto's has reliability reports.
Good Luck & let us know what you decide.
Inside our buyer’s guide you’ll find a wealth of information including 2000 Monte Carlo prices, specs, reviews & road tests, classified listings, ...
www.automotive.com/2000/09/chevrolet/monte-carlo... - 50k - Similar
pages

Old 08-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Eric.
I agree with RJ. The steering problem sounds like the intermediate steering shaft (ISS). I had the same problem on mine. I don't know how much the repair is, since I had it repaired while the car was under warranty.

As for the year of the car, if the front end kinda looks like mrl390's car, then it's a 99 or earlier. If the front end kinda looks like mine, then it's a 2000-2005 model.

I could be wrong, but I believe the 2000 models did have dual climate controls.

Hope we've been some help.