General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Brakes + ABS = Screwy

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Default Brakes + ABS = Screwy

FYI , Ive only owned the MC for about 2 weeks.. So i get that common problem of the ABS and traction service lights pretty frequently. It pops on almost evey day (I commute 120miles a day). However I have a different problem as well. When I try to stop, the ABS ALWAYS comes on and prevents me from getting full braking power. I've driven in ABS cars before and know what it feels like so Im pretty sure that its the ABS. My problem is that it seems to give me about half as much power as I think I should have and makes it take forever to slow down. I get the grinding of the ABS and little brake. Coming off an exit yesterday i had to swerve into the "Trucks only Parking" because my brakes gave very little slowing power and wouldnt let me take the corner to the left...

This morning I got in an accident where I was going 10mph down an exit and tried to stop, it did the grinding thing again and I dunno what happened but it might have hydroplaned and the brakes did not stop me. No damage to my car or the read of the car I hit. Car in front of him took a bunch of damge to the plastic bumper and the front of the middle car took some. Never been in an accidnet or gotten a speeding ticket and my brakes have caused me to almost get in 3 accidents in the past 2 weeks. The guy I bought it from said it happens b/c the rotors he bought werent high quality so they heat and make that feeling in the pedal, but im almost positive its the ABS. Any advice?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM

Is there any way to bypass the ABS and turn it off?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if your popping lights, get someone to read them and find out what the problem is.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 AM

abs scanner and engine scanner are diff correct?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM

For anyone else who might be having a similar problem....

To solve my situation I did a complete brake line bleed at every tire (the front had alot of air in it) and checked the ABS connections. One was backed a little off so I took it off hit it with some electric lube and put it back on. Brakes work mint now and the traction control/abs lights haven't come back on since.