General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Any idea what mufflers these are? -video

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jennifer Rose Rymer
Well, my job has no luck with it. Can't be Thrush/dynomax, cuz if autozone don't sell it, who knows what they are.

The sound you hear is more like a bubbling or gurgle. I can't wait to change them..Reminds me of a p.o.s. jap car.
You thought about what exhaust you want to go with when you change it? I've got MagnaFlow's cat-back system on mine, with the V8, and love the sound.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

I was thinking of the flowmaster, my father had it on his 72 chevelle and it sounded beautiful to whatever garbage was on there to begin with. I also heard a co-worker with a camaro with the 3800 with a flowmaster exhaust system and it made my heart melt <3 The thing sounded like a v8!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was thinking of the flowmaster, my father had it on his 72 chevelle and it sounded beautiful to whatever garbage was on there to begin with. I also heard a co-worker with a camaro with the 3800 with a flowmaster exhaust system and it made my heart melt <3 The thing sounded like a v8!
I had flows on mine originally, But it seemed to drone a lot at highway speeds..and even though I had mine sound proofed when I ordered it...

I prefered to hear the clarity of my system...with out haven it on blow your face off....Level...

But thats just me....
It did sound great otherwise...
Now I have just generic turbos on it...
BUT, with Bowtie tips !

Old 07-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

The unequal tube length in the exhaust of the transverse mounted engine in a Monte Carlo will sound completely different from the engine in the Camaro even though it is the same CID. The Chevelle is a completely different animal altogether. Your best bet is to spend a little time on YouTube listening to 6th Gen Monte Carlos with Flowmaster exhaust and see if that is the sound you are looking for. The majority of the ones I've heard are raspy on acceleration and crackle, pop and fart on deceleration. If you want a nice mellow tone that's not obnoxiously loud I think replacing the resonator with a glasspack and putting mufflers like the Walker QuietFlow on would be a good choice. It just all depends on the sound you're going after.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I was going to say the same thing Mike said. The Camaro's setup is completely different from the Monte's, mostly because of the different exhaust routing due to the Monte's transverse mounted engine, so it's basically impossible to get the same sound with the Monte. I was hesitant about doing any exhaust mods on my 03 because I didn't want it to sound like a lawn mower. At idle and low rpm's the Monte's 3800 tends to sound good, but get it up higher and it starts to sound sketchy and obnoxious with certain setups, imo. There is stuff out there that will work to get a decent sound, you just have to research and find what you like.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Those are just cheap in house Exhaust shop mufflers from the look an sound of it.They don't sound to bad.
Do as everyone said an listen to a lot of different systems before getting one.Everyone has a different taste in exhaust sound.
Me personally I like Flowmasters an Magnaflows depending on what engine.I don't care for Thrush, any Walker product or glasspacks.But thats just me.
Good in your search.Just make sure you get what sounds good to you.