General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen Monte - Impala Interior Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Default 6th Gen Monte - Impala Interior Swap

OK, so alot of you are going to think this is a terrible idea, but lately I've been formulating this idea in my head. I currently drive a '79 monte carlo. Its my first and thus far only car, but I am in my mid-20s now and its getting to be time for something newer as a daily driver. I have been looking at newer cars, and there is pretty much nothing on the market today that duplicates the features of my monte.

I was looking at the supercharged monte's from 04-05. I think I would rather have the supercharged 6 than a V-8. Once I get over the fact that its front wheel drive, the next I find with it is that, to my knowledge, its only available with a floor shift with bucket seats. I had initially thought that the Monte Carlos and Impalas had identical interiors, but upon looking a little closer it turns out I was wrong. My thought is to maybe swap in a bench seat and column shift from an impala, but its looking like the dashes are different.

Does anyone know if its possible to swap in an entire impala dash and bench seat assembly, including column shift? My goal would be to replicate this interior. At the same time I did the swap, I would obtain the SEM dye to match the '79 monte interior, and make it a red interior. I cant stand all the new cars with their black and beige interiors.

Stupid idea, maybe. But in the end my goal would for it to be different, but factory appearing. The only question is how much would it cost...

Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Anything can be done with time and money and know how. Putting in Impala dash I for a column shift doesn't make sense along with the bench. But It could be done. Its funny both my 3rd gen and my 6th gen MC are both bucket floor shift cars and you have/want the complete opposite. My 3rd gen has the same color interior.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:00 AM

Its funny both my 3rd gen and my 6th gen MC are both bucket floor shift cars and you have/want the complete opposite
I'm with you on this one, love the bucket seats and shift lever on the floor console.
Now if only my seats were air conditioned like the cts-v seats are

The only question is how much would it cost...
That would be the only holdup for the OP. Anything is possible, it's just a matter of how much dough you're willing to spend.

If you end up doing the swap, please update us with pics and whatnot.
It's always cool to see new projects, even if I don't agree with your opinion on seating :p

Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM

There's a guy that installed with working heated/cooled CTS-V seat into his 98ish GP GTP. Front seats and back seats.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:23 PM

There's a guy that installed with working heated/cooled CTS-V seat into his 98ish GP GTP. Front seats and back seats.
I've seen the thread on that.
I'm jealous.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 PM

can anyone answer though, is an impala dash a direct swap into a monte of the same year? (04-05). I'm not really serious about doing this, but just doing a thought experiment to see how difficult it would be.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think anyone has done it so you wpn't get a strait ancer, all you could do is try

Old 01-08-2011, 12:57 PM

i dont know about this but i would start by measuring both dashes. the column shift swap and seats will probably be the easiest part. personally ive always liked buckets and a floor shifter, but the bench seat column cars are lighter.