General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2001 Pace Car Restoration - Trunk Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 01:49 PM
Default 2001 Pace Car Restoration - Trunk Emblem

Hey everyone, so I’m in the process of restoring my ‘01 Pace Car and need a little help with what to do regarding the trunk emblem. As you can imagine it’s worn out now and can’t order a new one since it’s discontinued. (Part #88893470.) Tried calling a ton of junk yards, scoured eBay and other depths of the internet so far to no avail.

Assuming I will never be able to find a new one, does anyone know of (or have any experience with) any companies that maybe could restore it? I’ve done a general Google search and tried reaching out to a few companies but most seem to specialize in other (older) generations of cars (50’s, 60’s, etc) and decline to accept the job.

I have also tried reaching out to some emblem fabrication companies to see if someone can actually recreate/construct a new one from the old design. Most companies have said it is totally possible with their CAD and design teams but refused to do it over “trademark concerns” which I kind of get, but at the same time I can’t help think who would really know or care if this is a one-off thing? (I’m not looking to produce mass quantities for resale.)

One fabrication company suggested I obtain a one-off permission from GM to give to them and then they would be willing to create it for me. He said Ford has a licensing team that has done this in the past for some of his customers who had classic Mustangs, so GM could
probably do the same. But when I contacted them their customer service reps (and even supervisors) are totally clueless/claim there is no licensing team or any process for getting such “permission.” I found a part of the GM website which lists a licensing form for companies to apply with and I sent an email to the listed contact (gm-licensing@gm.com) and explained my situation, but no response whatsoever. I’ve even asked to speak to a member of the legal team at GM but they claim there are “only internal numbers” for the GM legal team, which are used exclusively for internal contact with their own people involved with lawsuits; no way for an outside line to “call” or be transferred to said legal people.

I just feel at my wits end because assuming I want to take it to shows, it would be a shame not to replace this thing with something in better condition. Hoping someone out there in the community has some advice or a solution! Thank you!!

Mine Currently

What it looked like when new

Last edited by DonVincenzo; 11-04-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:21 PM

Not a long term solution, but as the surface looks flat, have you tried reaching out to a local vinyl shop to see if one would scan/ print a new one as a vinyl sticker overlay (perhaps as a cash job)? If the car is mostly garaged, you might get a decade or so out of it.

May take a few to find one that'll do it due to the licensing issue you'd mentioned, but theres exhaust shops that cut cats off despite a $10k federal fine - so sooner or later you're bound to find someone to make a one off decal - especially with how common vinyl shops are.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 11-04-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:58 PM

Actually didn’t even think of something like that! Will definitely try that next. Will keep scouring to find someone willing to do the real thing but even a temporary fix for now would be welcome so will see what kind of response I get. Thank you!

Old 11-07-2022, 08:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So, I do understand the concerns with shops not wanting to do even one re-production of badge like that. It is difficult territory.

To bumpin's point, it might be worth contacting Reflective Concepts. They *might* be able to make something close (one step better than just a vinyl decal). And I believe they are GM licensed.

This is a sad part about niche vehicles. Few, if any, companies will take the task of providing licensed reproduction pieces like this. And the front nose badge, I so want to figure out a way to construct a better one (as the original one eventually starts to fall apart on the inside).

Old 11-08-2022, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
So, I do understand the concerns with shops not wanting to do even one re-production of badge like that. It is difficult territory.

To bumpin's point, it might be worth contacting Reflective Concepts. They *might* be able to make something close (one step better than just a vinyl decal). And I believe they are GM licensed.

This is a sad part about niche vehicles. Few, if any, companies will take the task of providing licensed reproduction pieces like this. And the front nose badge, I so want to figure out a way to construct a better one (as the original one eventually starts to fall apart on the inside).

Thanks for the recommendation! Will reach out to them as well and see what happens. Still just trying every avenue possible right now. Even reached out to a Karla Maxwell (of Maxwell Enamels) since she’s apparently well known for classic car emblem restoration. She said all of the new replications that she’s done were for cars earlier than 1940’s so the patents had already expired; no worry about legal infringements. She suggested instead a 3-D print/fabrication company like I originally figured, or to track down a “foundry” / local artist to just do a casting of my original since it’s still in one good solid piece. She suggested a casting in bronze or brass wouldn’t degrade as quickly and evidently “plates beautifully” so I guess it’s just a matter of finding someone able/willing to do that so I can compare the cost to all the other options. Will post back here asap with any updates!

Old 11-08-2022, 07:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Now you I like, the ambition to take on the difficult challenges. Hope this comes together for you sooner than later. I like the cast option, as it would endure the rigors of weather (extreme cold / heat) longer than plastic.