General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo HVAC no longer works

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo HVAC no longer works

I own a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS and my HVAC no longer works. Also my Driver Information Center (DIC; that's what GM calls it) or overhead display is blacked out, my rear defroster, also the little green light on the bottom of my rear view mirror that lets me know that the auto dimmer is active doesn't work. Well these systems work when they want to I should say. I notice when the overhead display is working everything works. So I'm thinking that all these things are somehow connected. I took my car to my mechanic and he said that the problem could be the HVAC's resistor is out. After that I took my car to the dealer and the guy at the dealer said that the HVAC ignition is out and that it would be approx $660 to repair. I did some research and there is no ignition for the HVAC but there is a resistor. So I don't know what to do. Has anyone experienced this with your MC? And if so what was the problem and what did you do to resolve the issue. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Since they both said something about the resistor, I would check the resistor, it should be on either the drivers or passenger side fuse panels

Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member

Thanks for your response. I was just puzzled by the fact that the tech from the dealer said it was the HVAC ignition and my mechanic said it was the resistor. What I do know is that I need to hurry up before summer gets here. I can get a resistor for $35 bucks at GmPartsShop.com - General Motors Parts - OEM GM Parts – Chevy Silverado Parts - Factory GM Parts. Check the site out if you need some parts for your MC or any other GM car you have.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by cellman26
Thanks for your response. I was just puzzled by the fact that the tech from the dealer said it was the HVAC ignition and my mechanic said it was the resistor. What I do know is that I need to hurry up before summer gets here. I can get a resistor for $35 bucks at GmPartsShop.com - General Motors Parts - OEM GM Parts – Chevy Silverado Parts - Factory GM Parts. Check the site out if you need some parts for your MC or any other GM car you have.
The GM tech may have just been confused or they call it a different thing in the shop, or he could have even been trying to 'outsmart' you to get more money... wouldn't be the first time they've tried that one.

If I were you I would get a 3rd shops opinion and if it's the resistor, go ahead and replace it

Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member

It gets better folks. My check engine light came back on the other day after spending $500.17 in repairs at the dealer. So after they test it the Service Tech tell me that my MC needs new ignition plug wires, BCM(body control module) replace, and to repair the wire to the PCM(power control module) totaling up to $1,076.00 WOW like I really have that laying around?