FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Timing Belt Info on the 3.4 LQ

Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Default Finishing up the Timing Belt

The Clamp under the Plenum looks like it is for a Cooling System Line. It's about a 1 inch braided type hose, just about under the MAF sensor. There wasn't enough wiggle room to put the hose and clamp on when it was reachable. LOL (The 1/2 inch more and I'd have been a king, 1/2 inch less and I'd have been a Queen. Hahaha) Gas has been sitting for about 3 years. So, I'm making the assumption that it's pretty much dead. Read a thread that suggested pulling the Fuel Pump out of the tank (from the top) through the hole in the trunk. Going to look into that today. With any luck at all, I should have it running today.
Thanks for the help.
OldHatt45

Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Ok heater hoses.. I replaced three O-rings connected at the plenum and heater hose area. I beleive I have a coolantant leak . The hose clamps are tricky. Yes they are connected after the plenum is in place.
Let us know the fuel pump location. I replaced a pump in a '93 Buick Regal and the tank needed to be removed; no trunk access.
Originally Posted by OldHatt45
The Clamp under the Plenum looks like it is for a Cooling System Line. It's about a 1 inch braided type hose, just about under the MAF sensor. There wasn't enough wiggle room to put the hose and clamp on when it was reachable. snip... Gas has been sitting for about 3 years. So, I'm making the assumption that it's pretty much dead. Read a thread that suggested pulling the Fuel Pump out of the tank (from the top) through the hole in the trunk. snip....
OldHatt45

Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Default Fuel Pump

G-Man,
Yup the clamps were a pain. But with a long handled Needle nose the job is a lot easier. When the timing belt went, I had the car towed to a local shop. Apparently they drained the Fuel Tank in preparation for doing the belt. THen they told me that I had an interference engine and the engine was done. That's when I had the car towed back home and put in the garage. So, problem was kind of solved in that I don't have to drain the tank myself. But I did change the fuel filter!!!!!

So, yesterday, I put the battery back in, discovered the tank was empty, then put some high test gas in and put the rest of the air intake back together and started her up!!!!! Started right up after pumping some gas into the SFI. Sounds really Good!!!!! Took her for a quick spin around the block and she is running really nice!!!!

Today I need to get a couple of tires then get it inspected and we're good to go!!!!!!

Thanks for all the HELP!!!!!!!
OldHatt45

Old 06-06-2017, 06:58 AM

getting ready to do the timing belt on my 3.4 this winter ,i have posed a question on the new members area about the procedure .any help or opinion would be helpful. thanks