FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Guide: Security Re-Learn Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:17 PM

Bringing up an old thread here, not sure if anyones still watching this. But my security light came on. A friend of mine turned the key to the on position and pumped the gas pedal about 5 times then it started right up.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:45 PM

I tried this procedure and it worked the first time but when i take out the key and try to start it again it does the same thing. am i supposed to do it 4 or 5 times anyway or is something else wrong?

Old 10-23-2015, 07:54 AM

I have a question, during the relearn process when the ignition is moved to the on position does the fuel pump prime (turn on). Has anyone even noticed.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've done a relearn on multiple vehicles and sadly, I never paid attention if the pump primes.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

question, if the security system is in place will it disable the fuel pump? my car wont start, like it will crank but it wont start, i already ordered a new fuel pump because i checked the pressure and there wasnt any, also when i turned the car to the on position i didnt hear it prime or hum

Old 10-28-2015, 09:17 PM

10 Year Member

I am pretty sure when it's in theftloc mode, the starter does not try to crank. So I don't think you have a theftloc issue.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:31 AM

hey guys so i tried doing this and still no luck. at first i did the relearn for 11min
switch the key to off then it cranks but wont start after that attempt it wont crank again because the security light starts blinking again. so i did the loing procedure repeating all the steps and still no luck.

i think i have a faulty bcm because for a ling time it kept saying door ajar and every time i put a new fuse in the bcm slot on the right side fuse panel in the casr it blows instantly. this bcm prob has been going on for 8 months now and i left it alone since it really didnt do anything and i disconnected the light bulbs in the car so it wont drain my battery overnight.

my pcm is from zzp i did the supercharged kit install and im hoping its not a problem with the pcm. its been working fine up untill now.

im thinkning of getting a new cylinder set and try that out. can i get a key made from the lock smith? or am i going to have to go to the dealer, i noticed there is no security chip on my key.

thanks

Old 03-18-2024, 05:55 PM
Default 2003 Monte Carlo SS

Originally Posted by RickCoMatic
The Security Relearn Procedure. This procedure allows the PCM to function properly in your vehicle after a Battery disconnect or a Security Breach.
Follow the steps listed below completely.

1. Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2. Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3. Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position, DO NOT remove the key.)
4. Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes (the security light should stop flashing, if not wait up to 3 more minutes).
5. Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6. Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7. On 4th-5th attempt, car should start.

NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.
ON my car I have 4 key positions. Off, ACC, On & Start. Some of these relearn codes say to turn the key to the ACC/On position. But mine are separate. Does that play a part in it not starting? Also, my key is a but worn. Could the security not be recognizing my key, keeping me from starting? Thanks.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:22 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Eggers
ON my car I have 4 key positions. Off, ACC, On & Start. Some of these relearn codes say to turn the key to the ACC/On position. But mine are separate. Does that play a part in it not starting? Also, my key is a but worn. Could the security not be recognizing my key, keeping me from starting? Thanks.
You need to leave the key in the "on" position. And I have heard of worn out keys creating problems with the car's security system.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
You need to leave the key in the "on" position. And I have heard of worn out keys creating problems with the car's security system.
I had a new key made. But I'm still getting the same result. I really don't want to have to open the entire dash just to modify the ignition cylinder. Right now I don't have the money to pay someone from GM $170hr just to come down & reprogram the security system. Technically it's an antique & I'd just assume disable the security system altogether(if that's possible) & install an entirely new one later down the road. For now, I just want the car to start. This is literally the only thing wrong with the car. It runs great. When I bought it, I was originally looking for a 90' model. But I saw it was a 6 cylinder & thought it would be much better on gas. Still, it has features that some of the newer vehicles don't even have. Very quiet too.