Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/)
-   -   Guide: Security Re-Learn Procedure (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/security-re-learn-procedure-8598/)

RickCoMatic 03-23-2008 11:52 PM

Security Re-Learn Procedure

The Security Relearn Procedure. This procedure allows the PCM to function properly in your vehicle after a Battery disconnect or a Security Breach.
Follow the steps listed below completely.

1. Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2. Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3. Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position, DO NOT remove the key.)
4. Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes (the security light should stop flashing, if not wait up to 3 more minutes).
5. Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6. Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7. On 4th-5th attempt, car should start.

NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

tommypro 03-24-2008 10:56 AM

RE: Security Re-Learn Procedure

yes, this is a very useful trick to know... i learned this myself off of mechanic's forums after my PassLock sensor went out on my '02 Monte and i had to use the procedure on the "new" sensor about five times (dealer put in a faulty sensor!)

one thing, gotta open a door or otherwise kill the R.A.P. between step 5 and repeating... sometimes will fail if the reserved accessory power isn't killed!

limiting accessory use is also a good idea since straight starting your car with a lot of electronics running is hard on the pcm (should always pause a couple seconds between turning the key from off to on/run and from there to start... again, PassLock issue!)

it sucks when you're in the middle of nowhere in the middle of winter and have to sit in your freezing car for half an hour to start it, so also DRESS for the WEATHER! ;)

useful post, Rick... did you have issues that you needed this re-learn/PassLock override? on mine, the security light would flash three times (before rotating to the battery light once then security light again)when turning the key to "On"... it sucked!

montecarl02002 01-13-2009 02:06 PM

Hello was reading your post i have 02 monte carlo and the secuirity light stays on when the car is started and it drives . i had a tech 2 hooked up to the car and the igntion always has 5 volts and does not drop and the igntion is in learn mode i was wondering if the igntion needs the re-learn procedure

Thanks have a nice day

SecuritySecuritySecuritySecurity Security

tommypro 01-18-2009 10:42 AM

you can give it a shot but if this doesn't solve your problem, odds are you have another issue... and you wasted a half an hour!
the security light on my '02 would not stay on once i got the car started, even with the faulty sensors!
what other symptoms are you experiencing?

another trick to try is having a new key cut from your VIN number at the stealership...

dustybird3 01-19-2009 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: montecarl02002

Hello was reading your post i have 02 monte carlo and the secuirity light stays on when the car is started and it drives . i had a tech 2 hooked up to the car and the igntion always has 5 volts and does not drop and the igntion is in learn mode i was wondering if the igntion needs the re-learn procedure

Thanks have a nice day

SecuritySecuritySecuritySecurity Security

Sounds like the passlock needs replacing. Mine was doing that along with the no start, wait ten minutes crap. I had the ignition cylinder/passlock replaced last week. Hope that fixed it - so far no security light while driving and has started fine, although I haven't started it much since the repair, time will tell. The guy that replaced mine said that 99% of the time that takes care of the problem, if it's not that, then it's most likely in the computer.

montecarl02002 01-20-2009 01:16 PM

Thanks for the infromation i think i have it figured out. I appericate the help you guys thanks again

poynter32 02-03-2009 08:50 PM

Does anyone know if this same procedure will fix the problem when you have installed a remote start and if so do you have to have the modulator installed first before it will relearn? I have started to install a viper 5901 and now my monte wont start and the security light flashes and I assumed this was the problem if anyone has any suggestions I appreciate it. Thank You

montecarl02002 02-04-2009 10:04 AM

Is it with the remote start are starting it with the key.

poynter32 02-04-2009 10:53 AM

Trying to start it with the key

montecarl02002 02-04-2009 07:25 PM

I would give the Security Relearn Procedure a try only thing you would be out is time.