FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Mod Guide: How to install HID Headlights for 2000-2005 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by blackbeauty89
hooooold up. you aren't 100% correct on that statement! in 2004 and 2005 GM switched the Impala and Monte Carlo's DRLs over to the LOW BEAM side. Why? i'm not sure. But i know that's a true fact because my '05 monte has DRLs on the low beams. and one thing i always notice with the supercharged Impala's and Monte's is that they always have the DRLs on the low beam side also and they were made in 04 and 05 only. so 2000-2003 Impala/ Monte Carlo has DRL high beams and 2004-2005 Impala/ Monte Carlo has DRL on low beam.
So chibiblacksheep and ramairetransam are both correct lol.
I know for a fact that on the 2004 Monte SS the DRL's are on the HIGH beams, checked it my self 5 minutes ago in person and also read the wiring diagrams (yes I know how to), The low beams do function as the lighted entry system lights (if that's the correct term) when you click the power unlock/lock button on the fob. High beam for the DRL on 2004, of course I can't speak for the Impala or 2005 or newer Monte but I can't see GM spending all that money to change the wiring harness, relays, switches etc. without doing a major remodel, unless they have no other way of getting rid of all that TARP money LOL

Aaron

OH yeah, see Shutter Island if you get the chance, good movie

Old 02-21-2010, 10:19 PM

well i just kinda thought it was that way for the 04-05 because of the other little minor changes they made like the HVAC system with the modes and maybe some other little things. but i know 100% it's low beam DRL for 05 lol. but i could have sworn that i've been in a 04 with low beam DRL's also.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
the hid will be more brighter and no the headlights will not always be on. no switch is need. one ground wire and one power to the battery. the other end of the plug go to headlight plug end. i have to go look at my setup again to see how i had it plug in. forgot how lol. here's the link to the harness. the company also sell parts that you can build your own projector halo. check out their web site.

http://shop.3bspecialties.com/HID-Re...ID-Harness.htm
Is there a delay switching from High to low beams? I have read that the relay harness causes a 3 second delay because the HIDs have to restart? My other question was: When you install the harness, can't you just connect the ground to the negative battery terminal? Or do you have to ground it to the body of the car or some sort of metal on the car? I have not had any problems with mine on the stock wiring but I don't wanna burn the stock wiring either.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
Is there a delay switching from High to low beams? I have read that the relay harness causes a 3 second delay because the HIDs have to restart? My other question was: When you install the harness, can't you just connect the ground to the negative battery terminal? Or do you have to ground it to the body of the car or some sort of metal on the car? I have not had any problems with mine on the stock wiring but I don't wanna burn the stock wiring either.
i haven't heard such a delay switch that i know of.

when turn on the car the hid slowly warm up in other word the hid will slowly dim at start up and brighten up. the harness have nothing to do with that i know of. i know it does the same thing even without the harness. on the harness, there's a ground wire that you have to ground to the body of the car. everything else is plug and play. try to get the 35 watt hid. i would not get 55 watts cuz in the long run will see some warp/melt on the headlight housing.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 PM

okay stupid question here, I have 8000k xentec hid's on the ay. should i run them as high beams or low beams?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 00monteSUPRSPRT
okay stupid question here, I have 8000k xentec hid's on the ay. should i run them as high beams or low beams?
I run my 8000k on my lows and never even use my high beams at all. I know some people on here do both the lows and the highs but I have also heard that putting them in the highs can cause problems because its not good for them to be going on and off rapidly.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM

okay so are the lows the DRL's?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 00monteSUPRSPRT
okay so are the lows the DRL's?
On my 2002 Monte the DRL's are the high beam. I have the HID's installed on the low beam with no problems. As suggested earlier in this post I just ordered the HID harness to connect to the battery to get better performance.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Where is the best place to get the HID Kits? Who carries the harness to connect to battery?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by pongogo3
Where is the best place to get the HID Kits? Who carries the harness to connect to battery?
I have bought two Kits from Ebay and one from DDM. The "Slim digital" kits all seem the same to me. They all basically look the same with some being metal some plastic. Bulbs I guess you can get color difference between who you buy them from just because all bulbs are not made in the same place. I just bought 2 harnesses from Ebay, I think you can get them for under $15 on there. Just type "9006 HID harness."

Here are some ideas:

HID Kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-K...item2a04ac1064

Harness:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Pure2sin; 02-25-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Mod Guide: How to install HID Headlights for 2000-2005 Monte Carlo