Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

zzp 1.9 rockers not so good ........

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
Default zzp 1.9 rockers not so good ........

i installed them last week couldnt install one becuse when i touqed it down the lifter wouldnt pump oil to the rocker so i installed a stock rocker back on it then put it all back togeather becuse i didnt have time to replace the lifters.. well today after 250 miles i changed the oil went to start it and all the lifters sounded dry till they pumped up with oil
to me this is not right as i never had this problem before the zzp 1.9 rockers

i used the Comp Cams rocker bolts tourqued to 25 flb

so my queston is will new lifters fix the dry start problem are should i reinstall the old rocker arms that i had no problems with at all ..
if the lifters will fix it has anyone used Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Lifters sold by zzp .

this is on a 2003 monte with 3.8 n/a soon to be supercharged....

Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you didn't have a problem with the lifters pumping up prior to changing the rockers I would suspect a clearance problem - especially since you can hear the rockers rattling until the engine has been running for a few seconds. If clearance checks out then I would focus on a weak oil pump or an obstruction in an oil galley, but if that were the case I'd think you would have heard the original rockers rattling as well. The only thing I can suggest is to go back and double check your work.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The comp cams bolts should be torqued to 23

Did you email ZZP with your problems?? They are very good at getting back to you if you ask what could be going on.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member

sorry i did touque to 23 looks like ill be changing lifters next weekend ... thanks for all your help ill let you know if it fixs the problem
zzp did say lifters just wanted to see if anyone elses had this problem and what there fix was

Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just thinking out loud, but don't you find it a bit odd that all your lifters would suddenly go bad the same time you change the rockers? It's not uncommon to have one go bad, but I've never seen a complete set go bad all at the same time. Good luck, I hope the new lifters resolves the problem, but also keep in mind that when you install them you may also be correcting an assembly problem that was overlooked.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

It's safe to say you changed the pedistals too, right? If you ordered from zzp, as opposed to buying second hand, this wouldn't be likely be an issue. I've never heard of problems with these rockers. When you installed them, was the engine open/ apart for any length of time?

Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member

i changed the pedistals i took it all back apart all is was ok........ only time the lifters make noise was when i started it after oil change ... never did that before the rocker arm install ,yes oil was in it,
i cant install one of the 1.9 rockers becuse it wont get oil when touqued down if i loosen it up say 3 full turns it starts to get oil
i cant figher out why just changing rockers i now have this problem never had it before so are the rockers bad are pedistals are the lifters seems like a lot of work with a simple bolt on item no was not left open and i have all the bolts and nuts installed didnt lose none ... are drop anything down the engine i do have my doubts that the lifters will fix the problem....

Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 PM

15 Year Member

Is it one rocker in particular, or the position (ex. cyl 1 exhaust rocker) that is the problem?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member

yes and yes it is that rocker lol ... i changed that and push rod with anouther and same problem,,, i just started useing mobil 1 oil filter before i changed rockers
and when i changed oil at 250 miles i used mobil 1 oil filter agein .... used ac before all this wounder if i should try ac oil filter and try agein .........

Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 PM

15 Year Member

I can't help but wonder if the pedestal is over machined. Seems like a lot of work just to test, but have you tried swapping the machined pedestals front to back?

I wouldn'tworry about the oil or the filter...

Quick Reply: zzp 1.9 rockers not so good ........