Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): What can I look at next??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What can I look at next??

Before I did this the car started on the first crank every time. After doing all this work it can take up to 5 seconds of cranking before it starts. After it start it runs perfectly. The hard start only bugs me but my wife is afraid she'll get stuck someplace.

Replaced;
Dorman UIM replacement and all the new parts that came with it.
Fuel pressure regulator
Plugs and wires
Fuel filter
Thermostat
LIM gaskets (Felpro)

I cleaned the throttle body after removing the MAF sensor and setting it aside. I did not clean it. I also removed the other 2 solinoids and cleaned them seperatly.

On top of this I did a Seafoam flush on the top end, oil and ran some thru the fuel system.The plugs and filters were changed after the flush.
Right now the the engine is bone dry and I can find no vacume leaks.

Does anybody have an idea what else I can look at? I had the dealer run a diag on it and the only thing they found was the fuel pressure regulator was bypassing fuel.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Hi `Jon,
Sorry to read about your problems on your 01 S.S.
How long have you owned it ? How many owners ?
How many miles on your S.S. (It will help our expert tech's with a recommendation/suggestion on your problems.)
Wish you Good Luck & keep checking back on your thread!!!

p.s. `Jon, `if you or other member's have not read the below thread (?)..I suggest that you read it It's a good investment of your time & you will learn about several problems on the Chevy Monte Carlo

Mod `Mike did a super job putting it 2gether
Sticky: List of Common Monte Carlo Problems and Solutions <Click(1 2 3 ... Last Page)
ChibiBlackSheep

Last edited by Space; 04-10-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM

I rolled the Monte off the floor in Jan 2001 and I think I'll be buried in it.

I've read that thread seveal times and a lot of others to look for ideas. Several of them really helped with my little project. It took me 2 days but thats only because I was being extra careful and cleaning parts as I went. You guys discribed exactly what I was seeing so I felt comfortable with what I had to do to fix it.

It now has about 70K on it and the only mod on it is a ZZP PCM and a new set of springs on the rear. I did that about a year ago.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Off hand, I don't see anything that scream "problem" to promote extra cranking at start. First, if you put BOSCH plugs in, I highly advise removing them.

Other then that, you had the car diagnosed and they did find an issue with the fuel regulator (that you just changed), I would consider exploring that. Perhaps it's letting the fuel system loose pressure and that pressure has to build back up, hence the extra long start.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Try cleaning the MAF sensor. Another item that may cause difficult starting is the IAC.