FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: List of Common Monte Carlo Problems and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nasselinr
I have a 2000 Monte Carlo ss and for some reason it won't start. I've checked battery alternator etc etc. it's all pointing to either the passlock system or bcm. My dash shows security and a battery icon and they switch back and fourth when the key is turned to on and I've tried all the remedies on the forums like leaving key on for 10 minutes putting car in neutral etc.
How can I know what exactly to replace because I've seen people say they replace the ignition lock and nothing or it works for a little and breaks down again. Please help somebody
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...ecurity-17611/
^^^how to bypass the passlock system^^^
Usually its just the ignition cylinder. Then after the change you need a dealership to reprogram. Or just follow the guide i linked to bypass.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Exclamation Vehicle isn't starting

My vehicle has been running fine over the last 3 weeks i've owned it, but today when I went to start the car, it would not start. It turns over, the fuel pump runs, there is no issue with battery. I checked all of the fuses, all good. I'm not sure where to go from there.
It's a 1997 Monte Carlo LS.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 PM

Problem: I have coolant running down the passenger side of my engine (L36)
Likely cause: Broken coolant elbows
Solution: http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...wtopic&t=17376
Prevention: replace the elbows anytime you take them off, as they frequently break

that is not the problem. when those elbows break it leaks on the engine. if you have coolant or water running down the passenger side of the floorboard, you have a leaking heater core.

Problem: My transmission is acting strangely
Cause: Could be any of the intrinsic flaws with the 4T65e transmission. Read more here: 4T65E Common Problems Select items in the drop down menu of 4T65E problems to learn more about components with high failure rates
Solution: Replace affected components and have the builder install a Sonnax Sure Cure kit.
Prevention: Change transmission fluid more frequently than the recommended interval. I go no more than 30k on the fluid. If the fluid has been neglected, you might be better off leaving it as changing it could result in the transmission failing in short order

Problem: My transmission is acting strangely
Cause: Could be any of the intrinsic flaws with the 4T65e transmission. Read more here: 4T65E Common Problems Select items in the drop down menu of 4T65E problems to learn more about components with high failure rates
Solution: Replace affected components and have the builder install a Sonnax Sure Cure kit.
Prevention: Change transmission fluid more frequently than the recommended interval. I go no more than 30k on the fluid. If the fluid has been neglected, you might be better off leaving it as changing it could result in the transmission failing in short order

this is normally a pressure controled selinoid in the tranny.

Problem: Grinding noises while turning coming from the steering column. Possibly feeling vibrations in the
Cause: poorly designed intermediate steering shaft installed from the factory
Solution: lube the intermediate steering shaft. http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...wtopic&p=41936
Prevention: frequently lube the ISS. I usually do mine at each oil change.

it's been recommended to replace the intermediate sheering shaft. that bulletin came out in 2009

Problem: Security light is on while driving or the car will not start
Likely cause: Something in the passlock system isn’t functioning properly
Solution: Replace the ignition cylinder.
Prevention: nothing

its the decoder in the electrical part of the switch which can be replaced seperatly from the cylinder

Problem: Water in passenger cabin under the blower motor
Cause: The cheap weather stripping under the cowl has slipped off.
Solution: http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...wtopic&t=31094

still sounds like a leaking heater core

Problem: My windows don’t always work when I press the switch
Cause: Dirty contacts in the switch.
Solution: Take apart the switch and clean the contacts. http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...wtopic&t=14592 Keep in mind this may not work and you might have to buy a new switch to resolve the issue.

could also be a brush connection problem in the window motor of the regulator

Problem: Oil leaking under the engine, dripping off oil pan
Cause: Leaking oil pan gasket.
Solution: Unless the oil pan is leaking profusely, you can get away with not replacing it. It is not a cheap fix to do on its own (500+ dollars) as the engine cradle needs to be removed to replace the gasket. If you are getting your transmission rebuilt, ask the shop to replace this gasket while they are in there.

there is nothing you need to remove. drain the oil and pull the pan off. it should not cost 500 bucks. this job takes at the most 30 minutes.

Prevention: Remove heat shield from resonator, they trap and hold water causing a premature rust on the top.[/quote]

too bad this is pop revited to the body

Problem: air conditioning blow cold on one side and hot on the the other (only cars with dual zone climate control)
Cause - blend door actuator motor is burned out
Solution: replace the blend door actuator
Prevention: none

or could it be a temp control switch under the dash? i think so, not the door

Problem: windshield wipers not going to park position when turned off
solution: remove cowl and look for a small metal tab on the wiper transmission. This usually gets bent outta place and the wipers don't know where to park. straighten that tab out.

straighten out the tab? it normally breaks

Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM

You know what's funny is that I didn't have just one issue posted on this thread with my previous monte, I had about 4 or 5 of them on the same car, at the same time - plus other issues.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM

i joined this forum especially for this post as i see its a common issue with monte carlos. if you call GM headquarters, you will be just short of told you're a liar and our cars dont have flaws.

head gasket needs to be replaced with every engine change....at least thats how my 96 is. its a flaw just like the fuel door rust and the head light switch and the window issues. also the low trac issue is a huge pain if its not fixed properly

Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Question Loosing oil in 2007 Monte SS V8

I seem to be using about a quart of oil every couple of months. I have check for leaks and have found nothing. I don't smell anything either. I was talking to a Mechanic that I know, and he seems to think that my valves need to be adjusted. and the seals may need to be replaced. Is this a common problem with a 2007 Monte SS V8? I drive about 500 miles a week, on the interstate.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Default Turn signals not working

Lately my turn signals wont work in my 2004 monte carlo intimidator until i push the hazard lights then they come on.. now sometimes that dosnt even work!!!! Any ideas!!!!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by IntimadatorSS
Lately my turn signals wont work in my 2004 monte carlo intimidator until i push the hazard lights then they come on.. now sometimes that dosnt even work!!!! Any ideas!!!!

Sounds like a faulty Multifunction Module!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could just be a poor wiring connection at the hazard switch.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

try banging on the dash just under the hazard switch. if that fixes it, change the switch. I think its like..$20-$25 for a new ACdelco switch on rock auto. Very easy to change.

Oh, and the hazard switch controls the turn signals.

Quick Reply: Repair Guide: List of Common Monte Carlo Problems and Solutions