Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Valve Cover/Oil Extension Neck Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by hauntedtexan
Need y'all's expert advice please... Just talked to the Chevy dealer about the valve cover recall and was disappointed to hear that my custom engine cover will be removed and kept, along with the neck extension. Being concerned with the fire danger is a concern since my baby is always in the garage (has only 57k miles) so I want to be safe without losing esthetics. Can my mechanic just replace the gaskets and seal the filler tube with JB weld or epoxy?
Just take that stuff off before you go.

You don't need to have the engine cover on, or the filler extension. Just put your oil cap on the valve cover, and keep the engine cover in your garage.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by hauntedtexan
Need y'all's expert advice please... Just talked to the Chevy dealer about the valve cover recall and was disappointed to hear that my custom engine cover will be removed and kept, along with the neck extension. Being concerned with the fire danger is a concern since my baby is always in the garage (has only 57k miles) so I want to be safe without losing esthetics. Can my mechanic just replace the gaskets and seal the filler tube with JB weld or epoxy?
That will have to be your call, my car has 335 000 kms on it with factory valve cover and as far as I am aware factory gasket. I'm at the point that I will just change it myself and keep the valve cover as it looks nice, plus if I am going through that much trouble I may as well change both valve cover gaskets, and will probably do the intakes as well.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I find it funny that the engine cover gets removed. I believe the recall refers to it as a "beauty cover", yet the shop manual I believe calls it an "injector shield" (implying it has a specific task beyond simply looking nice).
I would agree with removing the cover and extension before going in for service. Even if you didn't, those are technically your parts, you have every right to ask the dealer can set them in the trunk (due to the recall, they just can't re-install them).

My valve cover gaskets are new Fel-Pros, installed a couple years ago when I swapped to aluminum f-body valve covers.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:53 PM

my letter states 2003 recall # 15757 3.8L V6 engines the dealer will replace the front valve cover and front valve cover gasket with new parts of an improved design. also your engines plastic beauty cover and plastic oil fill tube extension will be removed.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just took mine off, if my local dealer ever orders the parts like they "say" they are, i'll get this recall done. I've already got oil on the plog i had installed not long ago.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:31 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I find it funny that the engine cover gets removed. I believe the recall refers to it as a "beauty cover", yet the shop manual I believe calls it an "injector shield" (implying it has a specific task beyond simply looking nice).
I would agree with removing the cover and extension before going in for service. Even if you didn't, those are technically your parts, you have every right to ask the dealer can set them in the trunk (due to the recall, they just can't re-install them).

My valve cover gaskets are new Fel-Pros, installed a couple years ago when I swapped to aluminum f-body valve covers.

Kinda blows my mind valve cover re-engineered to the point need to lose beauty cover and oil fill tube, I will keep mine, not going to do this till we have a test subject.

Malcolm
2000SS

Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 AM

Thanks to you all for the info and suggestions. Just ordered a new Fel-Pro gasket for the front since plans have existed for awhile to custom paint the "injector shield" or whatever it is they are calling it today. My baby has been in my family since day one, bought by my 65+ yr old folks new, and with only 57k garaged miles, it is truly loved. Chevy seems to have ignored the average intelligence of owners with the insults involved in these recalls. A key cannot be defective if the switch is what turns off the engine off. An engine cover, or injector shield, is an integral part to cosmetic beauty if you are a true car guy who shows their baby off. Bottom line for me is that I will never buy another GM product since it seems that Chevrolet considers it's customers little more than disposable or legal liabilities. I've restored a '53 Cadillac coupe deville, a '69 nova ss, a '62 belair, and a '65 impala, so chevy has been a big part of my life, but, for whatever reason, loyalty to them no longer seems important. No matter what is said in the commercials. So, why should it matter to me anymore? My local garage is set to do the gasket replacement and will properly seal the extension, then my baby will put up for sale before chevy recalls something else. Maybe next time they will remove the a/c because it may cause the engine to overheat. About the same thing as the key/ignition issue, right?.... lol Peace to all y'all

Last edited by hauntedtexan; 03-17-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:43 PM

My dealer told me they were months away from being able to actually do the recall. Has anyone seen the "new" valve cover?

Old 03-19-2016, 10:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Thats how i read it both in my letter and online, n/a 3800's seem to just get wire retainers while supercharged versions get retainers and a new valve cover and gasket. Either way i know mine leaks, i could smell it when the car was hot. I'll be the guinea pig as i have an appointment next week.
not quiet sure about that SC distinction as my 03 is non SC and recall letter states front valve cover
I just had gaskets done so asked dealerwhat it is improved about the valve cover, he looked at my ride and said, nothing for you

Old 03-19-2016, 10:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I live in rural area next time I visit the larger city /i will talk to them there
I don't do my own wrenching so at at a bit of a loss sometimes but for most part know enough to stand strong and interdependent