Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Valve Cover/Oil Extension Neck Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In that PDF, I like how the pics show probably the dirtiest engines you could find!!

As for gaskets and such, remember gm may have their name on the gasket, but they did not actually make the gaskets (other companies like felpro and mr gasket and such made them). The lim gaskets suck to do but last around 100k miles and the big failure is that they are plastic core not metal (I have no idea if that was gm's spec to use plastic or not).

As for this recall, wonder what makes the 04 so special? If it is isolated to the 04 engines, perhaps it is an issue with a bad batch of gaskets from a vendor. But I do agree, it is weird they are only concerned with the front, but they do believe it is related to seeping oil while braking.
Weird.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:45 PM

above is the GM Mechanic that will work on your Monte.
I know if I had a Monte & I would really check this problem out & I hope our member's do.
It's great that this thread is getting attention on a important issue that could cause your Monte to burn `Up

Don't gamble > Fix it

Valve Cover/Oil Extension Neck Recall - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte ...

montecarloforum.com › ... › Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders

1 day ago - GM Recalls 1,207 2004 Chevy Impala And Monte Carlo, Buick Regal Over Potential Valve ... Impala and Malibu vehicles over a potential valve cover gasket leak. ... I'm curious for people to post pics of these new parts. Quote: ...

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 02-24-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hmm, now that i reread i guess it is limited to only 2004, even more bizarre. Here is the letter i got

Old 02-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Thumbs up Thanks `Keane

Thanks `Keane for posting sharing your letter. I wondered what it said & I searched for it online...

According to GM, 1,345 cars caught fire after they were previously fixed by dealers, meaning that even car owners who had their vehicles repaired will need to bring them back for another fix.
About 85 percent of the fires took place when the car was shut off and there was no one around the car, said GM spokesman Alan Adler.
GM is aware of 19 reported minor injuries over the last six years tied to the problem but no crashes or deaths.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/10/general-motors-to-recall-1-4-million-vehicles-over-fire-risk-for-the-third-time-sine-2007/#ixzz418P2gtEx

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 02-24-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Hmm, now that i reread i guess it is limited to only 2004, even more bizarre. Here is the letter i got

Thanks for sharing the letter Keane. I think it states "2004" because they're addressing your car specifically. I received the initial warning notice for both my '00 & '03 SS's a few month's ago. I expect to see the hardware availability notice for them within the next few days as it probably takes that much longer for mail to reach the west coast.
I'm curious to know if a rear valve cover to match will be available for purchase.
Also, if they remove the oil filler extension and engine cover things will look pretty ugly under the hood. If they replace the valve cover with one of a new design I'm sure there will be no way to use the old filler extension on it, thus no way to secure the engine cover. Safety first, but I'm considering options...
Should I just replace the VC gaskets myself so I can keep the cover?
I know this will exclude the car from any legal action, but I suppose I could keep the notice and pass it on to a new owner and give them the option of pursuing the recall repair.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
Thanks for sharing the letter Keane. I think it states "2004" because they're addressing your car specifically. I received the initial warning notice for both my '00 & '03 SS's a few month's ago.
Let us know if you end up getting the letter. I got the same recall letter for 14574 but when you type that into Google it's already up to 14574A and makes no reference anymore to the valve covers for naturally aspirated 3.8's. It also only states 2004, but perhaps there's a different recall number for earlier years.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

See now the wording online is different than what the letter as. For the key recall online it mentions 00-05, where as the valve cover recall still only says 2004.

• GM Recall #:
  • N140574

• NHTSA Recall #:
  • 15V201

• Date Issued:
  • Apr 02, 2015

Recall Title:
ENGINE OIL LEAK ON EXHAUST MANIFOLD
Recall Description:
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2004 model year Buick Regal, Chevrolet Impala, and Chevrolet Monte Carlo vehicles equipped with a 3.8L V6 engine (Regular Production Option [RPO] L36 or L67). Certain of these vehicles have a condition in which drops of engine oil may be deposited on the exhaust manifold through hard braking.
Safety Risk Description:
If this condition occurs, and if a hot surface ignition source is present, an engine compartment fire could occur.
Repair Description:
Dealers will remove the spark plug wire retainer and install alternate wire retainers. For vehicles with the 3.8L V6 supercharged engine (RPO L67), dealers will also replace the front (left hand) rocker cover gasket free of charge.
Recall Status: INCOMPLETE

Old 02-25-2016, 05:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

the recall letter is confusing. I recently had changed lower intake gaskets and up, so stopped by a dealership to ask about the new "front" valve cover. He asked did it say cover or just gasket. Showed him my letter said front gasket cover and gasket
He said he has parts on order and has no idea what improvements where made.
I said I would stop back in a week or so to see what he knew then.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by farmerjg
Well now I'm really confused. If you go to the DOT website, it says recall 14574 has been discarded and 14574A is in effect. On DOT's website that recall states NA 3.8's get a new spark wire retainer and the blown 3.8's get a new gasket in addition to the retainer.

This sounds like my everyday job so much it isn't funny. GM sends out a recall notice with completely different information than what's on their "official" bulletin on DOT's website. I know it's a different rev, but to me this is more of a change than a simple rev based on what I got in the mail.

Also, it definitely says only on 2004's, so maybe owens91's engine is 03 or prior? Anyway, have a read if you'd like.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V201-9560.pdf
Got the notice today for both the '00 and '03 SS's. It say's exactly the same thing as Keane's letter for the '04 addressing the front valve cover, gasket and oil fill tube extension, but the recall# is 15757. It was accompanied by a "Customer Reimbursement Request Form". This is to be used for repairs for the recall condition not previously submitted, but the car still has to go in to the dealer for additional repairs.

Last edited by plumbob; 02-27-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:10 AM

Need y'all's expert advice please... Just talked to the Chevy dealer about the valve cover recall and was disappointed to hear that my custom engine cover will be removed and kept, along with the neck extension. Being concerned with the fire danger is a concern since my baby is always in the garage (has only 57k miles) so I want to be safe without losing esthetics. Can my mechanic just replace the gaskets and seal the filler tube with JB weld or epoxy?