Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Under The Hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

lol okay. Let's see how we can help...

Here's my engine. You have the air intake (terrible K&N don't buy it). You have the engine cover. That giant hose to the left of the intake is the upper radiator hose. you have 2 engine upper engine mounts (dog bones). oil filler cap. The reservoir in the back above the air intake is the brake fluid. The red dipstick is for the transmission fluid. The thing that says caution fuel, is your fuel lines. You have the alternator in the back. The overflow near the alternator is for coolant. Near that coolant bottle is the Fuse boxes. Near the fuse boxes are your 3 coil packs. Attached to the coil packs are your spark plug wires.

How's that

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 10-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here is some good reading material on the basics of an internal combustion engine. HowStuffWorks "Internal Combustion"

and a video.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

where are you located? by chance maybe you could meet up with a local mamber and they could show you in person. if your close to me i would be more than willing to do this for you.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
lol okay. Let's see how we can help...

Here's my engine. You have the air intake (terrible K&N don't buy it). You have the engine cover. That giant hose to the left of the intake is the upper radiator hose. you have 2 engine upper engine mounts (dog bones). oil filler cap. The reservoir in the back above the air intake is the brake fluid. The red dipstick is for the transmission fluid. The thing that says caution fuel, is your fuel lines. You have the alternator in the back. The overflow near the alternator is for coolant. Near that coolant bottle is the Fuse boxes. Near the fuse boxes are your 3 coil packs. Attached to the coil packs are your spark plug wires.

How's that

Right on dude. That was super helpful, kinda hard to tell where you were skipping around but I got most of it! Thanks! I wish my engine cover was red! It's just gray......

Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
where are you located? by chance maybe you could meet up with a local mamber and they could show you in person. if your close to me i would be more than willing to do this for you.
That would be awesome! I'm in Central Illinois.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Here is some good reading material on the basics of an internal combustion engine. HowStuffWorks "Internal Combustion"

and a video. EXACTLY how a car engine works - 3D animation ! - YouTube
Thanks a lot for the links!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 75JMO93
crap, im in western pa so i cant show ya.... hopefully a member close to you will volunteer

Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 PM
1 Year Member

Alright, sorry I've been away for a few days! I've been pretty busy with school, just got my subs put in, and my windows tinted and i'll even put pictures of those up if you guys want too! But I did put together a small picture diagram to show everyone what exactly I've been looking for and hopefully it will clearly show everything and maybe even a little more! Some of you guys may have even already told me what some of these already were in previous replies, so I apologize for that ahead of time.

Here we go! It should be pretty self-explanitory but basically just tell me, from 1 - 13, what each part or parts are and their basic job(s) in the car! I feel like this was the clearest way to get what I was looking for.
Also, #7 are the pipes and foily material going into the engine, or as it seems! Sorry if that doesn't explain it enough..

And here is the unedited picture in case the numbers and lines get in the way!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

1. Strut Tower Brace, keeps the strut tower in line to help with handling. If you don't have one (some Monte's don't have them stock) the car seems to roll a little more in the front during a turn.

2. I forget the official name. It's a giant clip that connects the sensors of your engine to power from fuses and battery.

3. Coil Packs. These create the spark from the battery for your ignition system. The wire goes from the coil pack to the spark plug.

5. is the Upper Intake Manifold (UIM). This basically takes the air that goes into the engine, and bounces it around to deliver the air to the cylinders

6. These are vacuum lines and your fuel pressure regulator. If you have a vacuum leak, check these lines usually haha

7. That's your front exhaust manifold, the foil is a heat shield. See my above post of the exhaust system for that

8. Fuel Lines

9. Stupid CA emissions air pump. This pumps air into your exhaust on cold start-ups to heat up the Catalytic Converter faster so that your car pollutes less.

10. Is your Throttle Body. See my above picture explaining the sensors on it

11. Your Upper Radiator Hose. At the end of this hose is your thermostat.

12. Strut Tower. This mounts the strut to the car, the other end is in the knuckle behind the wheel.

I might be wrong on 4 and 13 so I removed them to get the proper names

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 10-27-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by 75JMO93
What town in Illinois are u in? Im in the st louis area so if u ever need help & Chibi pretty much has everything covered

Quick Reply: Under The Hood