Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Under The Hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:39 PM
1 Year Member
Unhappy Under The Hood

Hey everyone, I tried posting this really long post yesterday but, even though it said it posted, it didn't, so here it goes!

My interest in how engines and all mechanical parts of cars is very high, but I wasn't ever really taught anything about them.

I want to be able to look under the hood of my 2000 SS and be able to point out mostly everything that I see and be able to tell you what it does, not down to the atom, but just a general description!

Like I can tell you that the alternator charges the battery while the car is running, and that's all I can say about it.

I somewhat understand how engines work and all that, but I really want to know what SURROUNDS and sits ON TOP of the engine, basically what you see when you open the hood.

I can find most fluids, dipstick, alternator, battery, take the cover off that just says "3800 3.8 V6" and the distributor...after that I'm lost and it's pretty emarassing because I have a lot of friends who are going to school for automotive and diesel and I hear them talk about all this stuff and I'm totally clueless!

What would be awesome would be if anyone could put together some sort of diagram or video or send me a link for SOMETHING or SOMEONE that can teach me just the basics or a little more of what I see when I look under the hood. I absolutely HATE being clueless with cars when they interest me so much!

Any help or just about ANYTHING will be appreciated! Everyone who has replied to my previous posts have been very nice, helpful, pleasant, and interesting to listen to and I thank everyone who has helped me or will help me further in the future on here!

Thanks again!!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 PM

and the distributor
Wish I had time to make up diagram of what is what. However, best I can do is add a small nugget of info here- you don't have a distributor.

Instead, your car has 3 coil packs and an 'ICM' (ignition control module) which sits beneath the coil packs which is driven from the car's main PCM/computer. Follow the spark plug wires back- opposite the end that the spark plugs are on, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Location: Garfield, New Jersey. But my Home will always be The Bronx
Cool

Best advice I can give, buy the Haines manual for your 00. It's 00-05 Impala, Malabu and Monte Carlo. It's a servicewoman manual that brakes down the whole car to it's parts. It's very useful when you know what your looking for but don't know where it is on your particular car.
Also I would say start reading car magazines. Not the Old School cars but the ones that feature newer cars. You will find that most cars work the same whether 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 cylinders. Differences in what some parts are called and where they are located!
Also if you have any specific questions keep in mind that the folks here on MCF are highly qualified to give good answers on the car they love, The Monte Carlo!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Location: Garfield, New Jersey. But my Home will always be The Bronx
Talking P.S.

Forgive the "servicewoman" it should be service. I'm using my phone to reply and don't always catch when it thinks for me! :-)
"JC"

Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe this will help..

Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ask a lot of questions and we can answer them. It's much easier than explaining how an engine works :p

Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Honestly in this case, I would Google all you need to know. It's all out there and if something isn't post a question up here and we'll get it answered for you.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM

1. Intake
2. Compression
3. Combustion
4. Exhaust

Repeat repeatedly ...

Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zeke
Repeat repeatedly ...
Does that help keep the car grounded to the ground

Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Ask a lot of questions and we can answer them. It's much easier than explaining how an engine works :p
Haha I know it's broad, but basically, the second you open the hood and everything that you see on top is basically what I want to know...I wish I could narrow it down but I really don't know anything and wouldn't know where to start

Quick Reply: Under The Hood