Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Default Twin Turbo

i know one thing, since my warranty is up i plan to do some performance upgrades eventually and i definately wanna put a turbo in mine but does the engine bay in a 6th gen allow for a twin turbo setup

and as a follow up would you have to sacrifice anything under the hood to make said twins fit?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM

if ya got the room go for it dude. research boost and you should find some helpful stuff

Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Really only one 3800 car I know of has a TT in it, thats the ZZP grand prix. I dont think they had enough room, and had to build one heck of an engine and tranny to take the stress of all the boost and 800+ hp it was pushing. Let alone most single turbos can barely put power to the ground. If you want custom go for it, but I think a well built sytem with one turbo would be perfect.

Also it probably wont fit unless they are small turbos.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 PM

i know one thing, since my warranty is up i plan to do some performance upgrades eventually and i definately wanna put a turbo in mine but does the engine bay in a 6th gen allow for a twin turbo setup
First off- what makes you specifically want a twin turbo setup? You can do a single turbo on your engine that will make just about whatever power level you want, with minimal spool time (opt for a ball bearing turbo if you're really concerned with spool times). I mean there are plenty of 3800's doing 500+ wheel horsepower (which is more than any normal street tires can hold, and is more than the trans can handle for long periods when you're launching hard on slicks).

I'm sure it is possible to do a twin turbo setup, its just up to the fabricator to keep the piping really tight- or at worst to get creative with turbo placement.

and as a follow up would you have to sacrifice anything under the hood to make said twins fit?
No one can really answer this because this depends how the fabricator places them.

had to build one heck of an engine and tranny to take the stress of all the boost and 800+ hp it was pushing.
Stock bottom end, built tranny.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:03 AM

i don't specifically want to do a TT, i definately want to do a turbo, but holy **** that a big turbo, i was just wondering, but enzo i was thinking of some smaller ones after seeing the guys on spiketv put a twin setup on a new challenger, i never wanted to go quite that big but since they did a pretty basic lookin bolt on twin set up, but i was estimating a 100-150 hp gain just doin a turbo, but bump ur sayin 500+, that piping would have to be the size of that ppz and i'm not tryin to do all that, i just want to be a sleeper with some *****, u dig

Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 AM

something that i can be 100% confident when somebody pulls up next to me in a bullsh*t scion or mustangGT that wants some that i can fully and responsibly embarrass anyone that wants to doubt the red bowtie

that and every once in a while on a hot summer night in chicago i'll ride to the stocks out south or doty road or to the cemeteries up north and pop my hood, u dig

Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 AM

i don't specifically want to do a TT, i definately want to do a turbo, but holy **** that a big turbo, i was just wondering, but enzo i was thinking of some smaller ones after seeing the guys on spiketv put a twin setup on a new challenger
Looking at it now, I see you have a 3800 (04 SS right?)- non supercharged I assume? If so, then you're set for doing a turbo- there are at least 4 bolt on turbo kits for your car/engine. None of them are twin turbos, but its not worth the extra money to try and fab it up for twins when there are bolt on single kits. Not to mention, with the small size of our engines, there are plenty of single turbos that will do the job just fine.

Anyways, some stuff for you to look at; if you're just looking for a basic cheap bolt on kit- I'd recommend the ZZP Z3:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=964&catid=109

You're looking at $2500 for a bolt in kit (with a catless DP)- and you spend another $50 on some used L67 injectors, and a few bucks for a home made boost controller- so about $2550- and that adds 100 horsepower, and will make your car run high 13's at about 100 mph in the quarter. Plus the kit is designed to be super easy to install:

Simply remove the factory crossover pipe and replace with our turbo crossover. Remove your stock downpipe and cap the rear manifold (with included cover), then bolt on your turbo and connect the downpipe. No welding, no fuss. Sound easy? It is. We've taken careful measures to speed install time and make the kit very easy to understand. For example, our oil return doesn't require tapping the pan and installs in 5 minutes, the oil pressure is fed from the sender so you don't have to remove the oil extension neck.
Add $1000 for the air to air intercooler, and with the higher boost you add almost another 100 horsepower, and shave another second off the 1/4 mile time.

That's just the base level kit, the high end kit:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=411&catid=109

that runs about $6700 fully optioned out- ceramic coated parts, ball bearing T76 turbo, oversize IC, big fuel injectors.

The base kit there is supposed to be good for ~625 crank horsepower (more than triple your stock engine)- and with track prep, slicks, a built tranny, and race gas- you can have a 10 second car.

So there are plenty of easy options that span the whole range of bolt on turbo setups depending how crazy you want to go.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:04 AM

ya i was thinkin a nice sized turbo, intercooler, a nice set of chrome magnaflow 2.5's, and a couple tweaks to the pcm with a hp tuner

Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 AM

If you're going to go turbo get an HP tuner. It's a must! You'll need to spend time learning how to use it but it's worth it.