Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turn the key and nothing happens

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Default Turn the key and nothing happens

I have a 98 monte carlo z-34 3.8L. Started my car last night drove it home 1/2 hour later i tried to start it and all the lights come on but when you turn it over to crank the head lights go off but nothing happens no noise what so ever. I crawled under it and with the key ON i arced it and it started but after about 5 seconds it just dies repeated this a few times with the same result. Not sure what to check. I removed and rechecked all wires to the started and all fuses related to ignition. there is something in both fuse boxes on the driver and passanger side under the hood that make a clicking sound when you turn the key to start.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:09 AM
Default RE: Turn the key and nothing happens

well i first would say to check the battery terminals, then the power to the fuse box next to the battery, then the connectons at the starter. sounds like you may have done most if not all that.

might be a dead spot in the alt. try putting the car in N and rolling back a little. did you also try jumping the car? if the power is low on the battery you could still have all your lights but not enough amps to start the car. same thing with a loose batter cable...will power all the toys but not get juice to turn over.

hope that helps some.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:41 AM

Bad/Dirty/Loose ground. Or a dead sell in the battery.Check the battery to block grounds and battery + to the alt .If its good,charge the battery and load test it.It should hold 12.2-12.8 volts.It take 225-275 amps to start.Just like z34phoenix said enough voltage to turn on the toys, but not enough CCA to turn the car over.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:33 AM

This is something pretty dumb and I didn't think of right away. Did you try to turn the steering wheel? That works alot of times.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:25 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I tried everything i could think of. Gave up and had it towed to a shop just got it back today ended up being the security sensor thats in key well there are wires that connect to the tumbler in the ignition that fell off. Maybe if someone else has this problem this post will help them. The shop just bipassed the security system ended up just costing me 1 hours labor