Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turn key: nothing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:51 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Turn key: nothing

Ok, so I go to crank up the monte, that as you all don't know, has been sitting for about a month or so since I last drove it. But when I turned the key, nothing. But the battery signal thing was on steady, so I think, dead battery. But you won't be able to use the radio or horn right? So if that was not the case, I investigated, and saw my transmission light is in steady, so the hell it is that! I don't think that will keep the engine from starting right? So if that is not it I am thinking, bad starter or spark plugs? When I urn key, all the doodads come one, but it won't turn over, it just goes "poof poof"...

Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM

is it a crank no start or just a no start? The radio could still work but not have enough power to start a car

Old 04-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Like what BlueSS said above it is possible that you have enough to power all your components but not your starter. When you try to start your car does everything Dim? or some things shut off? The starter on a vehicle draws alot of power, so possibly its your battery. We are actually talking about this right now im my class. I would suggest trying a new battery.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

From what you described, the starter does NOT engage. Dead battery. It takes a LOT of juice to operate the starter and if the Motne has been sitting for a month and NO one has been starting it and the battery has been hooked up, it's dead.

I think my Monte has an issue I have not chased down. If I leave the battery connected and do not start it for a week, the battery goes dead (I get lights and all, but the starter does not engage). I've jumped the Monte more then once I hate to admit.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Exclamation Similar issue

I was actually working on my Monte the other day using the radio and it just shut off, went to return the key and the radio wouldn't turn on.... so I got my buddy over to jump it, sat there for a bit and it wouldn't start but the radio worked. Needless to say we waited a little longer and turned the key and it came back to life thankfully. So just try giving it a jump let it sit with your buddies car running for a bit. Also clean away any acid on the contacts that really kills the battery. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by blueSS
is it a crank no start or just a no start? The radio could still work but not have enough power to start a car
That is it! I am think it is the starter.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MonteFox
Like what BlueSS said above it is possible that you have enough to power all your components but not your starter. When you try to start your car does everything Dim? or some things shut off? The starter on a vehicle draws alot of power, so possibly its your battery. We are actually talking about this right now im my class. I would suggest trying a new battery.
I am thinking of switching batteries actually, thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
From what you described, the starter does NOT engage. Dead battery. It takes a LOT of juice to operate the starter and if the Motne has been sitting for a month and NO one has been starting it and the battery has been hooked up, it's dead.

I think my Monte has an issue I have not chased down. If I leave the battery connected and do not start it for a week, the battery goes dead (I get lights and all, but the starter does not engage). I've jumped the Monte more then once I hate to admit.
Thanks, yep, been sitting for a month, I rearly cranked it, I am thinking of getting both when I get paid in hopes of fixing the problem, thanks again!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Parkinson
I was actually working on my Monte the other day using the radio and it just shut off, went to return the key and the radio wouldn't turn on.... so I got my buddy over to jump it, sat there for a bit and it wouldn't start but the radio worked. Needless to say we waited a little longer and turned the key and it came back to life thankfully. So just try giving it a jump let it sit with your buddies car running for a bit. Also clean away any acid on the contacts that really kills the battery. Good luck!
I will look into that before I buy anything and see if that will work! Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if it worked fine when you parked it I would think it is the battery. Sometimes when a battery is severely discharged you need to charge it with a charger. Also check for a loose connection or corrosion on the battery terminals and the auxiliary post. The starter wouldn't go bad just from sitting IMO

Quick Reply: Turn key: nothing