Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 Monte Carlo, turn key and nothing....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM
ww
Default 2000 Monte Carlo, turn key and nothing....

I have had this problem for the last 6 months and can't figure it out, whats worse is the shop I deal with can't figure it out.. Once in awhile when I try to start my 2000 Monte Carlo nothing happens , I turn the key to the first position and the dash lights up like normal, then when I turn the key to the start position the dash lights go out and nothing happens, no sound, no clicking,nothing . This usually goes on for awhile with me trying many times to start the car, turning the key on and off, then all of a sudden when I turn the key it will start like nothing was ever wrong..Also another strange thing is after I try starting the car a few times with no success the parking lights come on and won't go out until I disconnect the battery..I thought at first it was the battery but the meter says its fully changed.. Can anyone help me with this one..All help is greatly appreciated..Thanks Wayne..

Old 05-27-2010, 10:58 PM

definatly check the bcm.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 PM

I think your ignition switch could be going out. I have heard that the way the keys hang from the ignition are not that good for it, especially if you have a crap ton of keys. Regardless of whether you have a ton of keys or not, it does sound like the ignition to me.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Welcome to the club (the non-starting club, I mean). This is common on these cars, including a particular Silver one that sits in my garage.

Here is what I have learned (others please chime in if I am mistaken):

Ultimately it is a Passlock issue, though there are many theories about the specific cause (incl. BCM, ignition, etc.). When it won't start, leave it for 10 minutes to reset and it should fire up fine. In terms of a permanent, no one has the answer (that I have heard). My experience suggest the BCM is unlikely, but that it is most likely the Ignition. Swapping it is a pain and the BCM needs to relearn the Ignition resistance (part of the Passlock). Also, most shops including many dealers have no clue what the issue is and will rack up a big bill by swapping electronics out hoping it will cure it.

SO your options are 1) take you chances with a shop or 2) always leave yourself and extra 10 minutes to get anywhere.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 PM

that can cause starting issues BUT. being how the parking lights are acting. im sticking to the bcm. and keys hanging will make your pins in the lock stick most likely. thats how people start there cars without keys in them. cant see electrical being malfunctioned from that. but odd things do occur with cars and technology

Old 05-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Default light issues

After we replaced the BCM the starting problem was great for a couple days BUT the dash and radio lights still did not work only periodically . and as I think about it they haven't worked for over a week..actually they are too dim to see in the day but at night very dim on radio and PRND321 I can see but still can't see spedometer and gages at night...

Old 05-31-2010, 01:24 PM

I had the same problem...will it start if you put it in neutral? If so, your gear selector switch needs to be replaced.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Been there and have done that with my 2001 MS/SS. While nearly every guide tells us to check the battery connection, I did just that and all was "hosed". So, while looking for every possible problem, comes to find out that while my battery cables were secure, the sidepost battery Still under waranty) had a loose terminal. A buddy actually torqued that cables down, battery was replaced and all worked well and cost me nothing but a bit of grief?

My tech was clued into the battery issue when I advised him of the fact that when the car actually started, the odomoter would flicker while driving.

So, by re-tightening everything, I (finally) turned a mountain into an inexpensive molehill

Old 07-02-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ww
I have had this problem for the last 6 months and can't figure it out, whats worse is the shop I deal with can't figure it out.. Once in awhile when I try to start my 2000 Monte Carlo nothing happens , I turn the key to the first position and the dash lights up like normal, then when I turn the key to the start position the dash lights go out and nothing happens, no sound, no clicking,nothing . This usually goes on for awhile with me trying many times to start the car, turning the key on and off, then all of a sudden when I turn the key it will start like nothing was ever wrong..Also another strange thing is after I try starting the car a few times with no success the parking lights come on and won't go out until I disconnect the battery..I thought at first it was the battery but the meter says its fully changed.. Can anyone help me with this one..All help is greatly appreciated..Thanks Wayne..

happens to me all the time. thought is was the signal wire from the starter.
anyway while holding down the ignition in the on position. i push the brake in and run through the gears back to park and it starts up every time. its like it wont go completely into park or makes a contact to tell the ignition the car is parked. as for starting in neutral that never worked for me.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Cool 03 Monte LS, PASSLOCK OR BCM? Temperature/humidity

Hi all. Its been quite awhile since i've been here. I've read several forums, seen several complaints about this issue, i'm even a member of a newly formed group on facebook called boycott gm because of passlock.

Anywho..here's my story and i'll have a few questions for any techs out there so i'll TRY to be short. I have an 03 Monte LS, LOVE THE CAR, the sound system, the way it drives. HOWEVER let me be direct. I HATE HATE HATE anything that GM now builds and here's why. BLOWN ENGINE 168,000 kms thanks to GM's defective intake manifold gasket problem. Replaced the engine with a 100,000km block. That should never have happend. Had a few small water leaks in the passenger side compartment thanks to a plugged drain hole. Lights have always seemed weak for night driving, and the windshield wiper assembly/blades suck. Even replacing the blades with high end blades doesn't really help.
SO it seems GM doesn't make good and reliable cars anymore. Unlike the 83 monte and 81 trans-am I used to own.

Here is what we are CURRENTLY dealing with. PERIODICALLY and ALWAYS during HIGH heat and humiidty the car won't start. New battery, new serpentine belt, new alternator. WE are almost 90% convinced its the passlock. We have power, but the car just won't start and the security light flashes. SO, we do the whole 10, 15, 25, and 30 minute passlock trick. We HAD an after market alarm put in, AND TOTALLY removed from a really professional guy so..NOTHING was left in, and all wires were re=secured. ETC.

Problem persisted again for a few more weeks. Car would never start in high heat/humidity but turn over FINE on cool days. With the exception of a few moderate days with cool breeze when we did start it.

So here comes the funny part, after doing the passlock trick "holding the key to on for 10,15,25, or 30 mins" car starts and runs....But apparently according to the car, my headlights need repair, the ceiling courtesy light doesn't work, I apparently need an oil change, and my tire pressure is low" WTF ! Thats funny considering the headlights work fine, the tire pressure is fine. And lets now forget the BLOODY annoying chime that sounds every 10-15 seconds! And almost always when we run the a/c to cool the car down all the chimes and warning lights STOP!

TODAY...car runs okay while en-route to a funeral arrangement...except for the fact that my A/C has stopped working and blowing hot/warm air! Gee, just had that inspected and re-charged last year! And it was working fine even this morning. So a/c is not working, car is chiming, headlights need work? Again WTF. ALSO i've noticed that periodically the battery light is also lit...even after checking the battery terminals and having a brand new battery installed, things seem fine there.

SO..if passlock is causing me grief but eventually starts....does this mean that the BCM is also going too? Or are both systems somehow interconnected? The local stealership said that both could be quite costly to fix/replace.

So what are your views? I'm guessing passlock has little to do with headlights/tires/courtesty light etc etc and chiming. But could both the BCM and passlock be interconnected? Or am I looking at a potential NIGHTMARE repair bill in August/September.

We are both really fed up, and quite frankly..my monte carlo car payments are done in september. I'm trying to convince the wife to buy a slightly used or NEW mustang. SEEING as how FORD has recently started to make really nice cars which are dependable again. Hell maybe even an import. Should I just trash the car or "PARK IT" for a year and buy a new car ?

Thanks and SORRY for the long post, but the more detail the better!

Last edited by TORONTOLSMONTE; 07-04-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Monte Carlo, turn key and nothing....