Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Info: turbo's

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Default turbo's

Hello everyone,I am getting ready to turbo my Monte and was wondering if someone could give me a list of parts I'm going to need?I am going to piece it together.I can't really afford the bolt on kit plus I know someone who can make my downpipe and my exhaust crossover.I'v been building hot rods for about 17 years but have never done a turbo,so I know I can do it as long as I have all the information I need. Please help

Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

If you can get a crossover and down pipe fabbed then its all about what you want to do, If you want an inter cooler you will need that and some piping. You will need to relocate the MAF post turbo so as to avoid running rich. 44# injectors, A T fitting for the oil pressure sending unit, some lines to get oil to and from the turbo and into the crank case. Turbo Monte might be someone to go to directly with questions. He's very experienced with builds like this. Of course you will also need the Turbo, you can go with a ZZP turbo or a cheaper eBay/amazon turbo. For the difference between what we paid for our cars I could have gotten a ZZP kit. haha

Old 02-09-2014, 08:57 AM

IMO, if you can't afford a bolt on turbo kit (I believe the base ZZP Z3 kit is like $2500, used ones around $1500)- then I wouldn't bother. The reason I say that, is that it likely means that you also can't afford to upgrade/replace the transmission when you start having issues that will run at least the same price.

Not saying it's not a good idea to do yourself- just that I'd wait until you have more money set aside so you are prepared when you blow the trans.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for mentioning my name dbaldwin. You covered a lot of what he needs but there's more lol

I agree with bumpin. Also don't ever use an eBay turbo there garbage IMO. You will also new a bov and waste gate. Need a good tune, air filter for the turbo, boost gauge.

In all honesty before you go piecing this all together it would probably be cheaper to buy a used Cartuning or z7 kit.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 AM
10 Year Member

Just seen this her bumped and still for sale....

ClubGP Message Forum troubleshooting

Old 02-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Just seen this her bumped and still for sale....

ClubGP Message Forum troubleshooting
Do you like the cartuning kit from your experience? My only issue is that it requires tapping the oil pan as apposed to the zzp kit which doesnt. Thats an awesome price on that kit though. If I had the cash right now it would probably be mine. Haha

Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Iv cheeked both kits out and I'm like you,I'm not to king on tapping the oil pan but I have had a guy weld on a oil pan before and that all worked out good.So right now it's kind of a money thing for me(it take's a lot of it to raise 3 kids lol)I was going to go with the Ebay kit but it seems like no one likes them.Plus Iv been emailing them and they don't really seem to want to give me the info. I want.So I guess I'm just going to save a little longer.Have you had any experience with the Ebay kits?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member

ive been using the cartuning kit since 08-09 with no issues with the oil pan.... now my cartuning kit is highly modified into a cartuning kit on steroids i guess you could say but still uses the same concept for oil drain line and i have no issues. what i did though was took out the "low oil level sender" and installed my hose into that spot and then tuned out the oil level light so its not stuck on. the way i feel is if you loose that much oil that you need that warning system you got bigger issues than needing some oil and you should know something is wrong before that light comes on anyway lol.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member

ive heard the ebay kits are miscellaneous parts thrown together to "make" a kit. they dont fit right, they dont last, quality is crap with the parts.

its like the coolant elbows using plastic vs aluminum... ebay being plastic and zzp or cartuning being aluminum.... what would you choose? im getting aluminum!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:15 PM

If you're going to try to piece it together off an ebay 'kit', I'd at least buy a real, brand name turbo. The tubing, IC, fittings, etc are still important, but aren't functionally as difficult to make correctly as a turbo.

I'd still try and save up the money for a real zzp/stattama/cartuning kit, first (even used)- and if you just can't get there, and still feel the need to buy an ebay setup- just buy a real turbo, and get the rest of the 'kit' from ebay.

I just hope it's not your DD if your intent is to throw cheap parts at it. Stuff breaks even with the good parts, using Chinese knock offs just ups the likelihood of something happening. If your monte is just a weekend toy that you don't really NEED to get to work, then that's one thing- but I've got a buddy who has had to ride his bike (read bicycle, not motorized bike) to work in the middle of AZ summer because he had cheap aftermarket junk fail on him.