Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission Shifter Help

Old 11-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Default Transmission Shifter Help

Ok this is what happened i went to shift my car into reverse and the button fell off the shifter....weird huh. Anyway it looks like there were little tabs that held the button in that broke off. So i ordered a new one, it came with the whole handle and button (minus the shifter i thought for a min i was going to have to order the whole thing). So my question is how does this shift handle come off does it twist is there a retainer clip of some kind i can't see? I used to try to force stuff but after breaking a lot of stuff i thought i would research the method that works

It is a pain to have to stick my finger in there to push the button all the time so please help.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Default RE: Transmission Shifter Help

[align=center]Hi Nathan,[/align][align=center]I hope that the below site helps you with your problem.[/align][align=center]Good Luck `Space[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Click on below link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.metraonline.com/downloads...NST99-2003.pdf[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][PDF]APPLICATIONS [/align]99-2003. 21. DASH DISASSEMBL. Y. CHEVROLET • Monte Carlo 2000-04 .... Remove shift **** by using a small screwdriver to remove U-clip from front ...
www.metraonline.com/downloads/pdf/TurboKits/IN... - Similar pages

Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Thank you your post was a big help. I picked up the new handle today it took me a minute in the parking lot of the parts store there is a little C clip that i popped out with a .223 round of all things, old handle slid off the new went right on, clip slide in it was easy THANK YOU!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:54 PM

Hi Nathan,
You are Welcome, & I was happy to read that things worked out for you.
Look forward to your future posts. I've sure learned a lot about
the Monte Carlo since joining the MCF.
Post some pictures of your Monte Carlo,
we all love `eye candy.
Good Luck with your Monte.
`Space

Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 PM

I am planning to post some pics i have some cool ones that i have taken..... but i can't figure out how to post pics it keeps saying the pictures are too large. i will get it soon the part that is confusing is linking them from somewhere else ....

Old 11-06-2007, 09:03 AM

C clip that i popped out with a .223 round of all things
LOL
Hope you didn't stick up the auto store. LOL

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM

LOL that would have been a little awkward...i can see it now im holding up the parts store for a part and they call the cops and all my friends showed up. Funny story i was in uniform while i was in the parts store...lol Anyway you know that little long skinny thing to the left of the shifter of the 2004 style MC its where change ends up... well in my car there is a mixture of change and 40 S&W and .223 ammo just a round or two, you know stuff that comes out of my pockets. so i got into my car and was like i need something to pry this C clip back with and it was like right there it works great. you know in the army while on the range that was what we used to adjust the front sight post. ..ah the uses of bullet are endless....lol