Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Default RE: Transmission flush

I am not so sure the flush itself is bad but the filter really should be changed out when the fluid is. Starve the trans of fluid due to a filter that has reached its limits and you are just asking for trouble.

Here's the funny thing about warranties. They are only as good as the company that back them. AAMCO is in the business to make money, if something were to happen to the trans after a flush my bet would be that they would find something other than the flush as the root cause for failure.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:46 PM

Flush all of my car's transmissions... never had a problem.. one car i do every 30k and still going strong at 120k

Old 02-02-2008, 03:57 PM

Dropping and pan and doing the filter change is the way to go, at least every 2 years. Unless you have a tranny with 150k or 200k miles on it that has never had a fluid change... for those, leave them be and plan for a rebuild anyways.

Hope that clarifies if it wasn't earlier. :-)

Old 02-02-2008, 04:53 PM

I want to do the right thing to get some high-mileage out of this Monte, so I'm going to treat it with love and affection. I guess, from doing a boat-load of research, that getting some new Fluid and a Filter, in there, before too long ... is the right thing to do.
I wouldn't say this car was ever leaned-on by the PO. The PO is absolutely like the worn-out cliché ... a little old lady who only drove it to work and home and to Church on Sunday.
I'm taking it to the next level.
Driving it a little bit harder and faster than she did.
So, Id better be good to the Transmission ... because I want to get at least 115,000 Miles on it before I need to have it worked on.
Right now, I'm looking at Transmission Fluid that looks to be as good as new. So, I'm guessing that there's not too much in the Filter and no fragments from being abused by some earlier lead foot.
I feel like I will have everything to gain and nothing to lose having the Fluid in there come out and some nice, fresh Dextron-III in there making the Tranny go.
I'm not as obsessed with the idea as I was about getting the Fog Lights ... but, it's right up there on my things to do!