Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Complete Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 03:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Complete Transmission Flush

I am at 81,7XX right now, at 100K I want to do a COMPLETE transmission flush...I've changed the tranny fluid twice already in my car, but only done a pan drop, and filter change which only get about 7.5 of the 13 quarts out...

When I change all my fluids at 100K I really want to change ALL the tranny fluid...And i've read several things about flushing the tranny fluid by disconnecting the lower cooler line (return) on the radiator, and running the car while dumping in fresh fluid at the sametime...you do this until you start to see fresh fluid coming out of the cooler...

Has anyone done this? Or does anyone have a better do it yourself way of flushing all the fluid in the tranny?

I do not want to take it to any shops or dealer where they use flush machines...I am looking to do this myself...

Any advice, or experience with flushing your tranny fluid completly would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 AM

10 Year Member

?????

Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 PM

NONONONONONONO

NO flushes do not help at all. it FLUSHES your filter clean and back into your tranny.

If you wanted to drain all the fluid in the tranny you drop the pan. Now the thing you are going to have a issue with is the torque converter, that holds probably 4 quarts or more.

the sure fire way to drain it is to pull it out or find the drain plug that is on it.

I would suggest for best results drop the pan, and with a clean pan(i would use silver so you can see the fluid) and run fluid from the fill line into the tranny. after 2 quarts see how dirty the fluid is. you could also use a lint free cloth and wipe down the inside of the tranny.

NEVER RUN YOUR TRANNY WITH NO FLUID

A small trick is to get think magnetic strips and place them in the pan, this will catch more particles. after a few months do another pan drop and filter change. those are the best idea's i have for cleaning the tranny besides a rebuild or converter replacement.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:46 PM

10 Year Member

I know not to do the "flush machines" I would never let anyone touch my tranny fluid for a change...

And i've done 2 pan drops and filter changes since I bought the car new. I just wanted to change ALL the fluid when I hit 100K if I could manage it.

I would drop the pan first, change the filter, and then add new fluid to the fill mark just as usual.

My question is, if I disconnect the return cooling line on the radiator, use a clear tube to direct the fluid into an oil pan, and then start the car while dumping fresh fluid into the fill tube will this actually work. Basically you are just using the transmissions normal running conditions to flush it out. Old stuff comes out of the cooler line while new fluid is going in the dipstick hole. Once you see new fluid coming out the cooler line, its all flushed! And the filter is new too from doing the pan drop first.

Basically I want to know if anyone has used this method to change their fluid, and how easy/hard it is, plus if it actually works!

Thanks!!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 PM

sounds like it will work.

and i have never heard of anyone doing this and i would guess that the torque converter will always be a storage for gunk in the tranny.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 PM

10 Year Member

Cool, well if I do it this way when I hit 100K, i'll let you all know how it works!

BTW, nice looking Monte. I like the color!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

i'be heard ot that i have also heard hook up a line into the return to the and let it suck in the new fluid... but never have done one or seens it so best of luck to ya