General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Transmission Flush or Forget About It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Transmission Flush or Forget About It?

There are 70,000 Miles on this Tranny. I was thinking about taking it to AAMCO for a Flush, Filter Change and some New Tranny Fluid. While under the hood, this morning, I pulled the Dipstick and wiped it on a clean paper towel. The Tranny Fluid looked as good and clear as the couple of Cups of Fluid I needed to add to top-it-up.

Should I schedule a Tranny Flush, Filter Job and New Fluid job or just run it?

Some places on the Web say go for it at 50,000 (I have no receipt for a Tranny Service from the PO).

Other Web searches said that the Factory fill is good 'til 150K.

If you were me ... what would you do???

Old 01-06-2008, 04:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
Default RE: Transmission Flush or Forget About It?

Personally, at 50K I have the pan dropped and inspected for steel chips, the filter changed, and put back together with fresh fluid. I'm not a believer in the power flush. I prefer a new filter vs. new fluid. What does your fluid look like now vs. new fluid? EXACTLY! I want a new filter and the pan inspected for steel chips. My opinion.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 AM

I have never had a power flush just because I don't know what fluid they are flushing with how bad thier filters are ect, Who knows what the last tranny they did looked like. That said I have never heard any horror stories about a flush, so thats just my opinion.
I do change my filter and fluid every 60K

Old 01-06-2008, 12:49 PM

i change my fluid and filters every 40-50k.
Also if you ever wanted to do a shift kit it is time to get one. but do your self a favor and get the thrasher kit

Old 01-06-2008, 01:02 PM

...read your owners manual and go by what it says

Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 PM

r u having any problems with ur tranny? or r u jsut getting it flushed? the last mechanic i took my car to said that tranny flushes rnt really being suggested anymore as a solution to a problem cuz it carries whatever was causin the problem throughout the tranny instead of just havin it in a certain area

Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 PM

My philosophy on messing with the tranny is if its not broke dont fix it.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: 03SS

My philosophy on messing with the tranny is if its not broke dont fix it.
In some case i would agree but not in this one. the longer you leave the fluid in there the more build up gets in there. SO when something dose go wrong and they have to change the fluid it will take all the build up out and then the tranny will have to be rebuilt.

Also this is the leading cause other then heat for a tranny to go bad.

Clean the fluid!! they are nothing more then a fluid pump.
keep them full. and if they leak fix it. nothign to tuff about it.

and preventitve is better then not. and cheaper to

Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member

I found the recommend interval for flushing the tranny in the scheduled maintenance section. There was a bullet saying to do it at 50,000. I don't know if it was of not because the tranny fluid looked pretty darn clean to me. Since the Dealership she took the car too does not have any record of having ever touched the car after it rolled off the lot ... I'm erring on the side of caution and getting the thing flushed and a filter ... anyway.

I might be wasting the dough if somebody did do it other than the dealer ... but, I only found papers for all the oil changed and brake jobs, anyway.

I might be doing some overkill ... but, at least I'll be a ble to mark-down that the tranny WAS serviced and when ... it will make me feel better, too!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Be aware that FLUSHING the tranny and changing the filter are 2 totally seperate services, and will cost you DOUBLE. Forget about the flush, as it pumps anything and everything thru your tranny, whatever is in the power flush machine. IMO, they can do more harm than good. Change your filter!
Safest thing to do, if your fluid isn't burnt, is to drop the pan and inspect it for ANYTHING that shouldn't be there, change the filter, and put it back together and fill it up with new fluid.
As in an engine oil change, you don't just flush the oil system, you CHANGE the FILTER and OIL. Changing your oil filter is THE #1 most important service you do for yur car, next to rotating your tires.

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush or Forget About It?