Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission bad - Need quick advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:40 AM

I need to do a filter/ fluid change on my SS...I was gonna do it today but low and behold, SNOW! -__________-;

Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM
1 Year Member

Yeah Turbo, that is quite a haul to Indiana. My sister used to be an elementary school teacher in Bloomington many years ago.

Snowing here too, you must live on East Coast too Hiroska. We're expecting close to a foot of snow.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I live by pittsburgh, we didn't get to much snow but its freezing cold!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM
1 Year Member

Yeh, supposed to get real frigid around here the next two days.

I spoke with one tranny tech a little while ago who looked at the car without taking apart the transmission, and his general diagnosis was that it was "locked up in reverse, won't roll backwards in reverse, won't roll in neutral unless the car is turned off, something broken inside"...those were his comments. He is suggesting just go with re-manufactured and be done with it, but I'd like to know with this new diagnosis information, if anyone here maybe thinks it's still able to be rebuilt or not. In other words, does this diagnosis sound like there's no chance it can be rebuilt, or will be very costly to rebuild?

I trust this tech to do the work, he installed the last one and it lasted 5yrs, but he doesn't do rebuilding, only installs re-manufactured ones, which would automatically be higher cost at around $2800.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member

That don't make sense to me. In a trans you have a manual band, forward band, reverse band. If a band breaks you loose that gear (loose it meaning it acts like its in neutral) if clutches are toast they slip and cause it to barely move. If a input shaft breaks it acts as if in neutral in every gear. Nothing that I know of would "lock it up" to the point it can not move.....

Old 01-21-2014, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member

Also unlikely but if you blew a valve body gasket then fluid is going everywhere and you loose line pressure which causes it to slip and barely move. There is a lot of things it could be, without pulling it out a and tearing it down I can only give "could be this or that". If it were me I would drop the trans pan and see what the fluid is like and look for metal or tons of clutch mud that's the first place to start.

Could be a torque converter but if the torque converter went you would hear it and k ow something it broke.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 PM
1 Year Member

I see what you're saying. If you look at my first post in which I describe what happened to me yesterday when I had to pull over and have it towed, then compare it to what my tranny guy said, I think it's similar, just maybe different ways of describing what it's doing, or not doing.

What I remember is in my first post. To recap: I could make the car move forward when it was in drive, but it would move ahead slowly, and much slower than it should, given the amount of acceleration I had on the gas pedal. It seemed to eventually catch up and I was going 30-40mph (eventually) down the road, even climbed a pretty steep hill while in drive, but I hit that hill running while I was still in 3rd or 4th so as to ensure I'd make it. Once I pulled over to test the other gears, I tested Reverse, which gave me nothing at all, no movement, and the same with the lowest gear 1, nothing at all. Usually when I move the shifter I can hear and feel the car move into a gear when the car is stopped, but I heard and felt nothing at all, and of course it wouldn't move at all in Reverse or 1st, only Drive. I didn't test 2nd or 3rd though.

Drive gear as I said, would move the car, but very slow and gradual, and there was definitely some humming I heard along with it. That's the best I can describe it.

Last edited by Monte922; 01-21-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member

I understand and that's why I orginially said sounds like a clutch issue or line pressure issue and I don't think any hard parts are broken.... if a hard part breaks it is done right then and your issue gradually got worse. Idk that's my diagnostics of it. If you do have it tore apart be sure to let us know what it was I'm very curious.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 PM
1 Year Member

Ok, I will post here when I know for sure what is wrong. Don't forget, I've been getting intermittent bump shifting in 2nd-3rd for over a year, and like you said, gradually got worse before it gave out yesterday.

Hey, I'm with you, I'm hoping for the best, possibly an inexpensive fix. Who wants to drop all that money on a new tranny? Not me!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member

Either way pulling a trans and rebuilding it or replacing it will not be cheap unless you do the work yourself. I'm sorry to be the guy with bad news

Quick Reply: Transmission bad - Need quick advice please!