Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Trans Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Trans Issues

My 2000 LS started giving me issues last Tuesday while driving. I had the Check Engine light scanned at Auto Zone and it was a P0742 code. I had the TCC solenoid replaced on Thursday and everything was fine until yesterday. I was on the highway heading to work, and all was great, until I got onto the next highway where there was a ton of traffic. I was only able to go about 20-25 MPH and part throttling it. At that point the transmission started slipping heavily again where I was losing power to the point where I nearly pulled over. The transmission engaged and was OK with some pampering. I got out of work at 1 AM this morning and all was well until I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts on my way back. No sooner did I pull out onto the road that it started happening again. Got to the point where I was pulling over to the side of the road every 15-20 seconds, shutting off the car and restarting it in order to get the transmission to engage. after the 15-20 seconds, the RPMs go high and I am pulling over once again. I had to do this for approximately 3 miles. Does anyone have an idea of what happened? I am afraid to drive the car to work tonight and this happen all over again. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The 4t65e Trans is a weak point in the 6th gen.
I had a Similar thing happen with my 02 SS. I got all the Trans solenoids replaced. My CEL was throwing P0741 I think it was. (TCC stuck Open) even after I replaced it. Prior to that, and before this code came up, I would be driving, and not only would the trans not shift into 3rd gear, it would actually rev up to 3500 RPMs in 2nd gear before dropping in 4th. And all the gears would idle hi before up shifting. And it would rev up to 2800 RPM at 70 MPH. I was Averaging 12 to 14 MPG.
I ended up having the Trans rebuilt with upgraded parts. It had bad 3rd gear clutch and Torque Converter. I also had the Trans Cooler, Trans Mount, Lower Engine Mount and passenger side CV axle replaced with no extra labor cost since they had to be removed anyway. The total cost was $2100. I had it checked in June and it took me till Aug. to save the $$$. But I got a 3 year 50k mile warranty. Plus a certificate of Rebuild.

If you have replaced you TCC and it did not fix your problem you may want to look into rebuilding or replacing your trans. You might be able to find one in a junkyard, but you its a toss of a coin as to how long that would last. IMO the National Trans shops like Aamco, will only put OEM parts into it. A local trans shop with a good reputation would be better.

The most recommended Trans Rebuild is from T.E.P.. A lot of members here have had their trans done by T.E.P.
Here is their Web site:

Triple Edge Performance - Home Page

My car was not as bad as what you described. I was still able to drive it while saving the $$$. It sounds to me from your description that yours is crying for help. Keep in mind although I know a lot about cars, my Trans knowledge is limited. Other, more Trans knowledgeable members can give you more info on what's going on with your trans and a heads up on Triple Edge Performance.
Hope this helps. Good luck and safe driving!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member

Which one of T.E.P. kits would you guys suggest? I am on his site now, and there are many choices.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member

It depends on how you drive. If you race your car all the time then you need the Max. But if It is just your daily driver, the Standard trans will be Fine.
The HD trans is for the Supercharged 3.8. But I think they can set it up to work with the n/a 3.8 so that it will not throw any codes. Best bet is to call them, so you can explain to them any Mods you have or may get. Them they can tell you what you need.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:35 AM
10 Year Member

I only have the 3.4. So I think I am safe there. I will take a look at their standard rebuild kit.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member

Is there a particular rebuild kit that T.E.P. sells that would fix my transmission? I was looking at the overhaul kit and the master kit.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member

Any of them would fix it. So long as it is for your Trans (4t65e)
As I said before, it depends on how you drive your car. With a 3.4, the standard kit should be fine. Keeping in mind that all their kits are of Upgraded, Updated parts.
Are you planning on doing the rebuild your self or having it done for you! I would Highly Recommend to have it done for you unless you have worked on Transmissions before. Rebuilding an Engine is easier. IMO!
Also keep in mine that T.E.P. will build a trans for you and send it complete with Torque Converter. There is a core charge for that. Or you can send them your Trans and have them rebuild it for you. If they do it you get their Warranty. If you buy the kit, all you get is a warranty on the parts.
If you can find a shop that uses T.E.P. kits that would be Super. Then you can get the complete warranty and have a local shop take care of it if something does go wrong!
I also recommend reading the reviews on any shop you may consider taking your car to. You don't want to put Your Baby in the hands of a shop with poor customer reviews!

Last edited by JC Colon; 01-20-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member

I would have to have someone do it for me. I am not mechanically inclined.

There are only a few places where I live that do transmissions, and one of them (AAMCO), I am staying away from as I don't really trust them.

Last edited by mc1978; 01-20-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member

I was on the Milzy Motorsports site and they of transmissions too. Has anyone ever ordered one from them? Their prices are lower. What is the big difference between them and T.E.P.?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member

Update: No place in my town that does transmissions would put in a transmission that I buy. They will only rebuild the current one. UGH!!! So I am stuck with AAMCO, which is the closest place to the house. I will have to drop the car off to them late at night when there is little to no traffic as I will have to pull the car over numerous times to just get it there.

Anyone know how much it would cost me to get the 4T65E rebuilt?

Quick Reply: Trans Issues