Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tap-shifters

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Default Tap-shifters

Random thought process for mods that are a ways down the road still, but I was wondering. Since the grand prix gxp has the same engine as the impala ss and monte ss (LS4), and therefore the 4t65e-HD transmission AND it has tap shifters... would it be possible to put tap shifters in a monte?

I mean, the trans is the same, so that means that it's compatible. Right? haha

Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 AM

a quick google search found this site 'mastershift.com'

Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 AM

I'm trying to find a way to get em without getting an aftermarket steering wheel though. as a last resort, I would switch to a grand prix steering column/steering wheel.. but that's only as a last resort.

Unless, there's no other choice.

edit: just realized that there are a lot of GM cars here lately that have paddle shifters.. hell, even a malibu has em. lol
edit again: just realized that there was already a post with almost THE exact same question as this. https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...hifters-24153/.

Last edited by abro22; 07-26-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:29 AM

Valve body is different...Transmission Control Module is different..Also needed is another wiring harness..Also saw that there is also a few other minor differences in the transmissions..

Old 07-26-2011, 03:14 PM

i dont know about the paddle shift in the gxp but i can tell you that the ones in the malibu suck. worst thing ever. id rather have a real shifter.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM

The ones in the gxp are nice the few times that I have gotten a chance to use them, the only thing that sorta sucked was that they were attached to the wheel, so they turn with it... instead of being stationary

Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM

For just a neat toy- IMO, its too much work/too costly. Its ok, but just not super useful. For drag racing, you're better off letting the auto do its job. If its not shifting exactly where you want it- then a tune will fix that. I could see some usefulness at an autox or road course- but these cars aren't really built for handling to start with, and I'd imagine you'd be getting walked on by cheaper, lighter rwd/awd cars.

I used mine a couple times when I first got the car- but it just isn't worth all the hassle of retrofitting it IMO. I read somewhere about some GP people saying its hard on the trans since it runs at full line pressure when in M mode or something- regardless, people blow up enough of these transmissions without playing with that too.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-26-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

abro22 Did you get your car painted or get a different one. is so post pics. thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
For just a neat toy- IMO, its too much work/too costly. Its ok, but just not super useful. For drag racing, you're better off letting the auto do its job. If its not shifting exactly where you want it- then a tune will fix that. I could see some usefulness at an autox or road course- but these cars aren't really built for handling to start with, and I'd imagine you'd be getting walked on by cheaper, lighter rwd/awd cars.

I used mine a couple times when I first got the car- but it just isn't worth all the hassle of retrofitting it IMO. I read somewhere about some GP people saying its hard on the trans since it runs at full line pressure when in M mode or something- regardless, people blow up enough of these transmissions without playing with that too.

Yeah.. dammit lol. I love the monte, but I just wish I had some way to actually shift manually when I want to.. Thanks anyways man

Originally Posted by lougreen03
abro22 Did you get your car painted or get a different one. is so post pics. thanks
Nope, same car, same paint. About a month back some woman witha jeep backed into my Monte and her hitch punched a nice hole in my bumper.. So I was working with a friend of mine at a body shop coming up with ideas of how I want it repainted (when I get that fixed, I'm doing the rest of the bodywork I've been wanting to, but haven't had the time TO do)

Anyways, if you're talking about the pic by my name in my posts, that was one of the ideas. It was 2-tone with the mpd1 hood, but I wasn't crazy about the side view.. So I think for now I might leave it silver with blacked out everything else. (still get the hood though, along with the SS ground effects from Dealership Designs). I can post the concept pics up if anyone wants to see if they have any other ideas/input?