Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

supercharger worries

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Default supercharger worries

Alright, so I currently have a 05 ls with the 3.4.. Needless to say, I would like some more power. So I went on autotrader and found this sweet 05 SS for about 11 grand with only 70k on it. 1 owner and backseats have never even been sat in. This car looks like it just came off the lot brand new! My father has always told me that after about 100,000 miles, a supercharger could go out at any time. I want to know if there is any truth to this? I wont want to spend the time and money to get my car sold and then purchase this one if I will be running the risk of having to put a different motor in it a few years down the road.

supercharger worries-picture-1.jpg

Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think you'll have to worry about the engine at all.

You might be able to find a cheaper one. But if you buy it I wouldn't worry. Just change the supercharger oil and check the coupler for play.

Also if anything DID happen to the supercharger, you could buy them used for so cheap and replace it.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think with that kinda miles, I'd be more worried about the transmission, before the superchager, just make sure you go for a test drive and there is no slipping or misshifts, or have your mechanic check it out before hand.

Best of luck and keep us updated with whatever you do,
Joe

Old 03-31-2011, 01:32 PM

Well, due to the price of getting it licensed and the insurance, I will probably just hold on to my current monte. Guess I can just drool over it and wonder what if lol.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I don't think you'll have to worry about the engine at all.

You might be able to find a cheaper one. But if you buy it I wouldn't worry. Just change the supercharger oil and check the coupler for play..
How Would You check Coupler for play? Im Guessing You would have to remove the Snout of the charger?? and Just check for play like a Normal Pully?
thx My monte Been In storage for winter. It has 93,325Km, I'm Goin to change superchager Oil Vary Soon. As I have My Set of 18s Ready To go On..
Only ****ty thing about Canada WINTER IS LIKE HALF A YEAR I miss My monte

Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM

My father has always told me that after about 100,000 miles, a supercharger could go out at any time. I want to know if there is any truth to this?
Definitely not- if the car has 100k miles- there are a lot of other things I'd be more worried about going out (ie transmission, etc). The bearings in the supercharger aren't plain journal bearings, they're roller/needle bearings- so they're not really going to wear out as quickly as some of the engine accessories might.

Plus, there really isn't any way for the supercharger to 'go out'- the pulley directly spins a shaft that rides on bearings that is coupled to the rotors via a plastic coupler- and the rotors ride on bearings also. The only weak link is the plastic coupler that can wear out- but you'll notice pretty quick if its badly worn since it sounds like a bunch of rocks shaking around, plus its easy to fix- and cheap - like $20 plus a couple bottles of cheap GM SC fluid.