Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Default supercharger

i have an 04 ss and i was wondering where i can find a supercharger that adds the most horsepower for maximum power.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Default RE: supercharger

Its cheaper to do an engine swap because you have to change the internals and tranny of the car if you are going to supercharge it, but if you are looking for just the supercharger a Eaton M-90 supercharger would be your best bet.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:08 PM

I agree with Ca$$e.... The stock trans that comes with the N/A 3.8L will not handle much more torqe than stock. Time for a junk yard visit I'd say...

Make sure you grab the wire harness as well if you plan on a swap..

Old 09-20-2005, 02:44 AM
CMC
10 Year Member

It's possible to put a blower on the 3.8 without changing any internals at all.

First check out ZZPerformance.com for plenty of go fast goodies. There you can find a supercharger kit that will work with the stock 3.8 and the stock trans. The Stage 1 CSC kit will be fine for stock cars. I myself run a Stage 4 CSC with only valvetrain and cam internal mods. And those are really only so I can run higher RPMs.

Also if you want boost and don't mind it being from a turbo, which I suggest more than a blower nowadays, there are a few kits out there. At Stattama.com custom turbo kits can be found. Also at 3800performance.com and PFYC.com the Cartuning Turbo kit can be found. Also I believe theres another company that's making turbo kits for the 3.8 market but I forget where and who.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: CMC

It's possible to put a blower on the 3.8 without changing any internals at all.

First check out ZZPerformance.com for plenty of go fast goodies. There you can find a supercharger kit that will work with the stock 3.8 and the stock trans. The Stage 1 CSC kit will be fine for stock cars. I myself run a Stage 4 CSC with only valvetrain and cam internal mods. And those are really only so I can run higher RPMs.

Also if you want boost and don't mind it being from a turbo, which I suggest more than a blower nowadays, there are a few kits out there. At Stattama.com custom turbo kits can be found. Also at 3800performance.com and PFYC.com the Cartuning Turbo kit can be found. Also I believe theres another company that's making turbo kits for the 3.8 market but I forget where and who.

Would you go turbo today vs a S/C as you did and why?

You noted the trans being able to hold up with the stage 1 S/C kit, how much additional HP are we talking and what are your thoughts of the stock trans? I've been told it's the weakest part of the drive train, is this not the case?

Old 09-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005

i was talking with a old friend of the family and he has a custom shop that only works on chevys and he said that the tranny is also the weekest link of the system because it cant handle much more torque. i think if your going to go as far as getting some kind of boost get a new tranny too

Old 09-21-2005, 12:09 AM

CMC is running a stage 4 kit w/only cam and valvetrain. And considering that all the 5th gen Montes use the same 4T65E tranny, I think it'd be safe to say that a new tranny would not be needed to run a stage 1 kit, or any performance upgrades up to 275-300hp. Now if you go over 300, maybe a tranny might be considered.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:48 AM

I could be mistaken, but I thought the list of CMC's mods were a ZZP or upgraded trans..

I've heard more say don't play around with the trans in regards to added torqe than those saying it will handle it. I'll play it safe and go with the majority....

Also, the trans for the 3.8L N/A is not the same trans that is used in the supercharged model on the 05' line up and is the HD trans...

Old 09-23-2005, 02:56 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

ORIGINAL: montejass

Would you go turbo today vs a S/C as you did and why?

You noted the trans being able to hold up with the stage 1 S/C kit, how much additional HP are we talking and what are your thoughts of the stock trans? I've been told it's the weakest part of the drive train, is this not the case?
Turbo is the cheaper route to go now. Plus it can make more torque and HP, either on the daily driver side of modding or the big dog racing side of modding. Not only more, but sooner as well in the RPM band as opposed to the CSC setup. I went CSC cause well, I drooled over it for years, lol.

The trans will hold up with the stage 1 kit. Which I believe is, hold on let me check.... 5-6Psi and about 60HP more than stock. But that really is about all the stock trans can and will take continually. I personally needed a trans before the CSC. I had somewhere around 50K+ on the car when I did the CSC and the trans had been showing signs of trans failure around 40K. This is mostly because of how hard I was on the car, and I do mean hard. From E-Brake drifting to burnouts to enthusiastic driving in general. The 4T65E is easily the weakest part of the entire car, and to be honest one of the weakest trans GM has ever made, in my opinion. Granted it can take quick loads of massive power and come out alive and well. But repeated hard runs with said power will cook it in a matter of minutes.

Yes, I do have a ZZP complete hard parts trans.

Oh and about the only difference between the 4T65E and 4T65E-HD is the differential and gearing. The diff is a bit tougher, I'm running a stock HD diff, screw all the so called LSDs from a certain company. The gearing is 3.29:1 in the 4T65E and 2.93:1 in the 4T65E-HD. The lowest you can go is 3.69:1, which of course requires a conversion kit.

About the best place to go for 3800 information is clubgp.com.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:54 PM

how much boost are you running on stock internals?

Quick Reply: supercharger