Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Supercharged 04 Octane Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011 | 12:48 PM
15 Year Member

Depends how much % you're talking about. 100% ethanol- pretty much a no on any of these cars.

Gasoline mixed with 0, 5, 10% etc ethanol (many stations now only sell gas with a little ethanol mixed in) is fine with no changes needed- actually, I'd bet the car has likely already been used with these mixes numerous times.

E85 however, will not work. The pcm would need to be retuned to run E85 (I think you need to add roughly 30% more fueling). Also, you would have to keep in mind at that point- that it takes a lot more E85 than regular gas for the same power output- so your fuel pump, and fuel injectors would have significantly less headroom if you ever decided to mod it.

In lieu of retuning the pcm, I have also heard of L67 guys just sticking in the 42# injectors and running it without a tune (since you aren't telling the pcm that you're running the bigger injectors, it continues to hold them open as long as the old, smaller injectors- and thus injects more fuel). Here is a link to the bigger injectors:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=249&catid=113

Stock injectors are 33#, and these are 42.5#. If you don't tune the pcm at all- and just drop these in, this would add about the correct 30% extra fuel (33# x 1.30 = 42.9- which is close enough that the pcm will be able to compensate via normal trimming).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-17-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2011 | 07:15 PM
|
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well I'm definitely not planning on running E85 anytime haha but thanks for the explanation.

I think it's %10 Ethanol for the premium fuel blend.. so that should be fine, right? If not, I would like to just get 89 or whatever the highest non-ethanol blend is and just push in a fuel additive/octane booster. Any ideas on best brands/solutions?

Old 07-17-2011 | 07:51 PM
15 Year Member

I think it's %10 Ethanol for the premium fuel blend.. so that should be fine, right?
That is fine, they have been putting that in gas for years- some stations have it, some don't- but modern cars have no problem running it at all.

If not, I would like to just get 89 or whatever the highest non-ethanol blend is
Definitely a bad idea- for the supercharged engine, you should always run the highest octane, premium fuel available at the pump. Also- I've never seen a station on put ethanol in one grade of gas but not the others- they usually have the same % in all three.

and just push in a fuel additive/octane booster. Any ideas on best brands/solutions?
Do some searching around on the internet- it is VERY difficult to raise the octane of fuel, especially when you're only talking a 10-15 ounce bottle to 15+ gallons of gas. The octane of what you're adding would have to be drastically higher than the gas itself, or it will have little effect. It has been shown numerous times that the standard parts-store octane boosters add very little octane (we're talking tenths of a point here). To get the fuel in your tank from 89 up to 91-93 premium would take quite a bit of octane booster.

Old 07-18-2011 | 12:34 AM
|
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks so much for the help bumpin96monte!

Hmm.. Yeah I'm positive the 92 is the only grade with ethanol in it.. That's kind of weird. Since you mentioned it, I was at a station a couple hundred miles away from home today (family road trip), and noticed that all three grades had the same amount of ethanol in them. And yet, my home station doesn't? Odd...

But yea thanks for clearing it up on the octane boosters.. I've heard mixed reviews on them. I'll just get the dumb 92 from now on, and keep checking if there is any other possibility out there.

Thanks again!