Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Stripped Spark Plug Hole

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Default Stripped Spark Plug Hole

So I get my engine back together, and guess what? I have a stripped spark plug hole. Even better... the far back right corner... so yea. I know there are helicoils and then some other kits out there but I wanted an opnion from the forum. Have any of you guys had the happen? If so what kit do you recomend? I know the insert should be aluminum... And any tips for doing it? I know if I want to do it without taking the head off I have to rotate the engine forward.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Default RE: Stripped Spark Plug Hole

[align=center]Hi Nathan,[/align][align=center]Sorry to read about your problem : ([/align][align=center]Below are a few links with Subject Problem.[/align][align=center]I hope they help. `Space[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]SPARK PLUG KIT by Helicoil - More Tire Plugs, Sealants & Rep...
SPARK PLUG KIT. Helicoil. Model: 5334-14. Do it Best SKU: 574163 ... The easiest way to permanently repair stripped M14 x 1.25 spark plug port threads. ...
doitbest.com/Tire+Plugs_+Sealants+and+Repair+Kit... - 49k - Similar pages [/align][:-]
Spark Plug Thread - More Categories - Compare Prices, Review...
25 Sav-A-Thread is the easiest way to permanently repair stripped spark plug hole threads. Virtually all engines built today have aluminum ...
www.nextag.com/spark-plug-thread/search-html - 111k - Similar pages
http://www.nextag.com/spark-plug-thread/search-html
[:-]Stripped Spark Plug Thread
new 07/26/2004, updated 8/10/04. see also Stripped Spark Plug Hole ... Obviously, the BEST course of action is to take off the head.... Regards Eric Lehmann ...
www.v8sho.com/SHO/StrippedSparkPlugThread.htm - 6k - [URL=http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=similarPages.search&quer y=related%3Awww.v8sho.com%2FSHO%2FStrippedSparkPlu gThread.htm&clickedItemPageDescription=similar Pages][u][color=#0000ff]Similar page

Old 02-11-2008, 03:15 PM

Never had that problem. Going to need a new block.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:15 PM

I'm joshing you.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 PM

Yeah,,,.. I've had it happen before... ona set of racing heads! It wasn't too hard to fix. Thetricks to it involve... your worst trouble is it's the furthest hole back on the motor. Not havingaccess to perfectly align the bit for drilling to install a helicoil sucks!!!Provided you can lean it over enough to drill the hole correctly... just buy a helicoil kit foryour particular app and drill it out. The trick is to load the drill bitwith heavy wheel bearing grease. That way when you start drilling the metal shavings are caught in the grease. You will have to stop and clean the shavings and replace the grease periodically to catch as many of the shavings as possible. The more you do that the more you will catch of the shavings. TAKE YOUR TIME!This is a one shot deal! Pay attention to the direction of the thread on the insert(IT COULD BE REVERSE THREAD).Once its drilled the rest is easy. Don't forget to use antiseize on your spark plug! Good Luck! Hopefully this helps!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 AM

Weld it shut. 5 is still greater than 4.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 AM

So yea, I bought a solid isnert kit from Napa... $40 later.... But its the kind you tap, put the insert in with a bit of sealant then use a different tool to expand the top so it seals into the top threads.

My brother is back from Iraq for a week or two so I'll be having him help get it started.... might be a little different from the engines he works on... haha

Old 02-15-2008, 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Nathan

So yea, I bought a solid isnert kit from Napa... $40 later.... But its the kind you tap, put the insert in with a bit of sealant then use a different tool to expand the top so it seals into the top threads.

My brother is back from Iraq for a week or two so I'll be having him help get it started.... might be a little different from the engines he works on... haha
Hi `Nathan,
Good Luck on your Repair.
+
Tell your brother that we appreciate his service to our Country
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
I hope that you both enjoy your time 2-gether.
I wish him a safe `journey on his missions.
Good Luck, `Space

Old 02-16-2008, 12:27 AM

Puttting-in an insert ... HeliCoil or otherwise ... requires some finesse and the ability to see what you are doing. You have to hit that hole perfectly squared-up or the job isn't going to work-out right.

I blew-out the Number-1 Plug Hole on my Bike. I used the NAPA Steel Insert to fix that. The package warns you to keep the tool straight and inline with the former hole to avoid "Complications"

You might be better off not trying to stick an insert in there and getting a real nice used head.
Lap the valves and swap-over your stuff and have a hole that's gas tight and not something you'll be sweating every time you get-on-it!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:37 AM

Actually the tap I ended up getting is self guidingthe first part of it screws into whats left of the original threads and then it starts to get bigger. The tap its self has an attachment so you can throw it on a socket wrench with an extension, so i dunno we'll see