Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Smoke from spark plug hole + other problems

Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Smoke from spark plug hole + other problems

Ok last week I changed my plugs but re-used wires and noticed it was misfiring so this weekend I bought some new duralast wires and changed them out. The first few hours were good until last night I was at a red light and I started to smell coolant and it was like a giant cloud of smoke or mist that smelled like coolant came all around the car. Ive been having a problem tracing down a coolant leak, it not going in the oil and not hitting the ground but just disappearing... Im sure im running like 95% distilled water now because of how much I lost. I can tell when its low on coolant because my second fan kicks on and it makes a wierd sound so I stop let it cool off and fill it up with distilled water. The past few weeks I have been forced to take 2 gallons of distilled water with me in my car everywhere I go. My temp guage now is over the half way mark and seems to be making that spot its new home. Anyways today I started my car up and let it warm up fo a few minutes and backed out of our driveway and by the time I got to the end my car killed. (My driveway is on a slope, fuel delivery problem?) Yes KILLED!!! The first time it shut off while driving since I got it! I restated it and I only got like a vrump sound like the battery was low and couldnt turn it over. I removed my key and turned it back to crank it and it started with no problem??? I get half way down the street and see smoke coming from my hood so I turn around and go back home. I popped the hood to see smoke coming from every spark plug hole area So I let it run to see if it was just oil from my leaking valve covers and it just smokes. There is white crusty stuff on the plugs when I removed the boot but I think thats just the boot grease. Would too much boot grease cause this? I used a toothbrush sized amount on every plug. I think the coolant, smoke, and cranking problems seems related since they all happened around the same time... the final problem im having is from my drivers wheel. When the car is in Drive and just rolling the wheel sqeaks at every rotation, when I speed up to about 15 mph goes away. I thought it was the brakes so I replaced them and the problem still exists. I got my axle changed a couple of months ago but I run into a lot of stop and go traffic around the corner from my house and this is embarrassing... Im in a bind because we just got a new contract at a DOW facility and I have to drive almost 2 hours just to get to work one way instead of the 30 minutes I use to. Any help is greatly appeciated :l

Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Wow.. umm I wouldn't keep driving the car at least until you find the coolant leak if you're losing that much. As for the spark plugs.. take one out and look at it quick you might kind the problem. And it's probably your hub going out.. since you have some nice sized wheels the hubs take more abuse...

Just my opinion

Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by blueSS
Wow.. umm I wouldn't keep driving the car at least until you find the coolant leak if you're losing that much. As for the spark plugs.. take one out and look at it quick you might kind the problem. And it's probably your hub going out.. since you have some nice sized wheels the hubs take more abuse...

Just my opinion
Im gonna change the water pump and change the coolant elbows AGAIN tomorrow. I did notice that there is water in the radiator but the hoses only fill up with air and when I bleed it using the screw thingy no water comes out so im guessing the water pump isnt doing its job. I also think that the water is just boiling off and turning into steam and maybe finding its way out of the hole in the back of the coolant resevoir? I started it up a few minutes ago for a few minutes and noticed that when I turned my car off it has a tapping noise and a draining noise for like 30 seconds. The draining noise may be normal but im unsure of the tapping noise. This happens whether I have a regular thermostat, no thermostat, or the zzp drilled. I removed one spark plug and it was perfect! No soot or oil or anything on it... Funny thing is the noise got worse after I removed my 20s and changed to the 16s lol, I guess it was too late :p.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 AM

Has the upper and lower intake manifold gasket been replaced? It is a common problem.
I would jack up each wheel and spin it and rock it to see if you can make the noise or notice any play in the hubs.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sliver
Has the upper and lower intake manifold gasket been replaced? It is a common problem.
I would jack up each wheel and spin it and rock it to see if you can make the noise or notice any play in the hubs.
I dont think they have ever been changed... I might look into it today.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member

Ok I popped my oil cap off to see how the oil was looking at it was great and even had a good color, until I looked at the cap itself... At the top of the cap I saw some bubbly looking stuff so I took the top part of the cap off from the neck and indeed saw the dreaded milky stuff. I guess Ill spend today replacing those...

Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

It sounds like the manifold gasket has failed. Sometimes the leak is small enough at first that the coolant just burns off in the exhaust. That could be why you didn't see anything in the oil. As for the squeak maybe you have something rubbing on the axle.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
It sounds like the manifold gasket has failed. Sometimes the leak is small enough at first that the coolant just burns off in the exhaust. That could be why you didn't see anything in the oil. As for the squeak maybe you have something rubbing on the axle.
After a looooong day of working on my car 8am to 7pm I finally finished lol. I havent munched on anything today. I have pics but ill post them tomorrow bc im too tired. The lower intake manifold gasket was peeling and falling apart and two of the ports were filled with brown /rusty mud. I got our shop vac and got it out so I didnt push it down in there lol. My upper plenum gasket looked great but after putting everything together I now have coolant leaking from under the throttle body? I changed the coolant and started her up and immediately got a low engine oil light? I turned it off and checked the dipstick and it had not a single trace of oil... I went to start her up again and let it run then checked the dipstick again and it showed normal? Then I noticed that dreadful smoke from the spark plug holes so I turn it off. I change my oil to see that my oil was blacker than my pleather seats. I was about 2k miles late so I guess that would be normal lol. After I changed the oil the spark plugs smoked no more. That oil must have been crap! Next weekend I have to take apart the upper intake manifold again to change the gasket and find out where that leak is coming from. I also forgot to put a bolt in the egr thingy to the lower intake and my idle is off and lumpy. I also found some old tools lol. She seems to be running good enough for me to take to work. I had no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil but Im glad to have done that so I wont have to worry about it. I have a bad habit of taking things apart and mixing bolts up and forgetting where things go and this time I only forgot 1 bolt! When I changed my intake manifold and valve cover gaskets I didnt buy any new bolts but when I finished I had like 10 bolts left over .

Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 PM

did you check the 2 coolant hoses that go to the underside of the throttle body?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rellsun
did you check the 2 coolant hoses that go to the underside of the throttle body?
I cant recall even seeing any hoses there :l

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoke from spark plug hole + other problems