Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Strange Whine

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Default Strange Whine

Ive been having some troubles in my engine with noises recently. I had a metallic grinding noise and heavy heavy whining under acceleration which I diagnosed to my AC compressor being shot. Did a AC delete and got rid of the condenser as well. That solved my metallic grinding noise and a little of the whining. It was actually completely silent during my test run and for the first 45 minutes of my commute. Pulling into work and during the last 15 minutes of offramp/city road travel I notice that its whining alot. Its a low whining, doenst sound the the PS sounds I had in my Jeep before I replaced the PS pump and its not affected by turning and is barely affected by speed. However when idling it becomes intermittant. When driving, its LOUD.

My drive belt had cracks and normal wear, nothing bad, although I know its probably been about 45k since replacement, ive put 24k on it since i bought it last June without replacing it. Is there any way to test the water pump or alternator to see if its the whining? When I had the belt off yesterday I spun the pulleys and they all sounded fine.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hmmmmm.

Check the power steering fluid, it could just be low on PS fluid. Or the PS pump could be bad, its common on these cars.

The alternator bearing could be going out too.

Try putting some belt dressing on your belt, and see what that does. If your belt is causing the noise, belt dressing should quiet the whine and help you determine you need a new belt.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:37 PM

PS was a little low but that wasnt the noise. When I looked at it closely after work, I saw that the water pump pulley was wobbling. Uh oh. Gonna replace that tomorrow and hope that its the final problem i have.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 PM

the usual wines come from the belt the belt tensioner the ideler pully after that is the water pump altenator power steering. it is od that the ac pump goes bad from gm. i am sorry that you took off your ac pump and every thing. just to find out it was the water pump. if you deside to put the ac pump back on gm is netorius to use the synthetic r134. i am glad that you found the problem