Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Squeeky belts !

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Squeeky belts !

So, my car has some squeeky belts on the start up, but once its warm, and moving, the squeek stops completely. Do I need to oil up my belts, if thats even possible..or what should I do? They dont look rotton or anything.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Belts tend to get worn out..(get hard and Glazed) even though they may not look it... Generally that means its time to change or re-adjust them. Seeing how most of/all our belts are on tensioners... that just means there stretching out...Which is another good reason to replace them... after they stretch out... They tend to break/snap... and then leave you stranded on the side of the road... In the old days... you could merely take a little soap bar and rub it on the inside of the belt... to stop the squealing! without having to over stretch the adjustment... Now a days...That's not a reasonable thing to do...

maybe someone else will chime in and have some ideas as well.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:29 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Well usually id do the work myself, but I think ill just take her to the dealer, still got a warranty on the engine, but I guess i need to return her to factory settings first...Gotta search the junkyard for a air cleaner duct...

But usually the squeeking goes away after awhile and its not loud at all, just a little squeek at the start with maybe 2 min of squeeling, then i drive, and wala. its gone. Idk yo. i was hoping to kill the tranny first so i make the dealer put a new one in. lol.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Well usually id do the work myself, but I think ill just take her to the dealer, still got a warranty on the engine, but I guess i need to return her to factory settings first...Gotta search the junkyard for a air cleaner duct...

But usually the squeeking goes away after awhile and its not loud at all, just a little squeek at the start with maybe 2 min of squeeling, then i drive, and wala. its gone. Idk yo. i was hoping to kill the tranny first so i make the dealer put a new one in. lol.

Maybe...
The bearings in the belt tensioner are worn out? Next time it sqeaks... Get a spray bottle of water and just spray (stream) it at the bearing and see if it goes quiet? If it does.... Then that's where the noise is! That's how I discovered I had a bad tensioner on mine..

Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would not use any oil or belt dressing (as some call it) on the belt. David is right, it can be a list of age or wear-n-tear causes. The noise may stop because the belt has warmed up. Start with a new belt (a Goodyear Gator Back belt is a good one) and see if the problem resolves. If it doesn't, my next guess is a pulley is dragging. If it's dragging, you want it identified before it seizes. And again, if it is a dragging bearing, warming it up is probably why the noise stopped.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:32 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

hows the work manually? i have a 07 5.3 if you guys didnt know..Maybe i should update my avatar and signature..

But if I decided to change the belt, is it a hassle or should I just be lazy and make the dealer do it for 100?

What does the bearing look like? I got about 2 hours left of work so after I'm off ill go home and look at it. Could it be a cause of a slight jerk after slowing down from accerlation and then trying to accerlate ?

Last edited by Hiroska; 10-10-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Take the belt off and spin each pulley it goes on. If one of them doesn't spin freely there's your problem. But it's probably just the belt needing to be replaced.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Could it be a cause of a slight jerk after slowing down from accerlation and then trying to accerlate ?
Negative. My guess is that has to do with the trans, perhaps the torque converter disengaging? Not sure, but I am certain it's not the belt.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Negative. My guess is that has to do with the trans, perhaps the torque converter disengaging? Not sure, but I am certain it's not the belt.
I'm with Jason on this one, the belt shouldn't cause anything like that to happen. Might want to check your tranny fluid and filter for starters.

What are some other symptoms you are experiencing? you may be chasing from wrong angle on what is really going on.

But for what it's worth, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the belt and possibly the tensioner pulley. The belt is an easy change I believe it's a 1/2 and use an extension bar to give you lots of leverage to loosen the tensioner and pull the belt off, make sure you have the diagram in the engine compartment still there for reference when replacing the belt, and if it is gone for some reason or other ensure you draw a diagram of how the belt was installed prior to removal, or take a pic with your phone for reference.