Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Spark plug BOOTS !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
That's were a spark plug boot pliers comes in handy. The tapered design and curved tips fit between the boot and the metal shield allowing you to get almost all the way to the base of the ceramic on the spark plug. If you do tune ups to multiple vehicles or for a living they are definitely well worth the invesment.
I can completely understand the value in that tool. With exception of working with these spark plug heat shields on one car, I've luckily never had a problem doing what needs done to pop the boots off the plugs. Granted, some are stubborn and I'm willing to be the spark plug boot pliers would definitely help with those stubborn ones

Push comes to shove, if Zeke does not have any vice grips or is dead set on saving the wires, then those plug boot pliers is what he needs.

@Zeke - FYI - Normally when I do spark plugs, I change the wires. I also change them with lifetime warranty wires (I've been using AC Delco or BOSCH wires). I pay for them once and never again. I think I've change the wires on my Grand Am 3-4 times with out problem and free after I initially bought them. Food for thought. I just feel when changing plugs, it's the right time to change wires too.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Took me forever to get the plug wires off when I did the header install. Ended up breaking one wire but I was going to replace them anyways. Just a lot of pulling and twisting a little. Plug removal pliers didn't help at all at least for me.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:17 PM

Did you have any luck getting them off? I'm having the exact same problem, I managed to get 2 of the front ones off, but the other 4 don't seem to move at all, Maybe ripping them out, and replacing the wires is a better solution? My main concern is the spark plugs in the back of the motor, there's no room back there to get leverage, or yank them! If I can't figure it out, I could take it somewhere and have it done, but it frustrates me that the only thing stopping me from changing them is the wires.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte2004
Did you have any luck getting them off? I'm having the exact same problem, I managed to get 2 of the front ones off, but the other 4 don't seem to move at all, Maybe ripping them out, and replacing the wires is a better solution? My main concern is the spark plugs in the back of the motor, there's no room back there to get leverage, or yank them! If I can't figure it out, I could take it somewhere and have it done, but it frustrates me that the only thing stopping me from changing them is the wires.
This is what I used and managed to remove all the wires without a problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52990-Sp...=pd_sim_auto_1

Grab the boot as close to the base as you can and twist to break the boot free from the plug. Once the boot has broke free move the pliers up and grab the boot where the wire snaps onto the plug. Get a good grip, then twist back and forth as you pull upwards. When you reinstall the wires coat the inside of the boot with a thin layer of dielectric grease. It will make removing them easier next time.