Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Slug Wires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Slug Wires?

Hi Guys,
Question, I was just looking up Accel 8mm wires for my Monte. But when I looked at there site they did not go any newer than 1999. Does Accel not make Wires for our 3800s? I used these wires in my 87 IRoc and was very Saticefied. Plus, They come in Yellow. Hee, Hee, Hee!
If not, is there a Brand that anyone would Recommend I use? If I can get them in Yellow or Blue 8 or 8.5mm that would be GREAT.
Thanks Guys!!!!!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just so you know JC, unless you are making changes to the ignition system, the stock AC Delco wires work fine. The 3800 S/C has hotter coils and still use the same grade stock wires as the non-S/C engine.

Granted, I see an obvious reason you want to go with the Accel (just for the color alone lol).

If you can't get the Accel ones, go with AC Delco or even BOSCH plug wires (just no BOSCH plugs).

But if Accel is listing wires for any 3800 Series 2 or Series 3 engine, I think they will work just fine (they just might not have a catalog reflecting all options).

Old 12-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey man I am also with maniac on this unless heavily modified wires will not help performance at all but will look good. I got a accel kit I had to cut to length and install the boots before getting my prj wires and they were OK but I wouldn't recommend doing this I know I won't do it again.

I know prj made blue wires but not sure if he is still making them or not and not sure if he ever made yellow ones. Prj wires are expensive but they are the best of the best as well. Prj uses a HUGE Taylor wire with msd connectors to make them.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jason, you caught me! I do want the yellow or blue wires to go with the colour scheme I have in mind for my Monte. But I Also know that there is a freer path for current to flow through the thicker gauge wire.
John, I'm not actually looking for any performance gains with the wires. They would be more for cosmetics and Impression. The thicker wires, in a colour other than black, gives the engine more of a performance look, even though they may not increase the performance at all.

I Also believe that the materials used in there construction are better than that of the Delco wires. Therefor, holding up their ability to perform their job longer.
I don't know this to be fact but my logic bone just tells me That's right. What I do know is that just like the 2" lift on the back of my car where most folks lowering their cars 2", there's no performance enhancement, even though it looks like it, but it looks Dang Good! At least to me!