Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Silverado A/C issues: Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Silverado A/C issues: Help?

Okay, let me get the basics down... I know we're a Monte Carlo forum, but I trust this forum more than otehr places so here goes.

I have a friends 1991 Silverado in the yard. The A/C works... sort of. We started out with a leak in the hihg pressure gauge fitting, which was fixed, charged it, and it ran. After a couple of weeks of it coming and going, we have found a few loose electrical fittings, a few baffling things, and it can't seem to work for a long period of time.

The pressure is fine, no leaks that the dye can find anyway. It's pressurized nicely, pulls to 28-30 lbs on the low side when running. But now, for the fun to begin....

This things A/C light will just start blinking, and at that point, not a thing you can do except dis connecting the battery will make it work again. We have found the pattern to this issue....

If you run it on high or medium without recirculation on, it seems to run for a long period of time. If, however, you turn on the recirculation, it will quit inside of about two miles. Also, if you turn it down to low on either recirculate or just open fresh air, it will quit in side of two miles.

In summary, so long as you run it on medium or high, without recirculation, it seems to run fine. Otherwise, it seems to throw a relay or something and the a/c won't work until you disconnect the battery....

I have so far changed the fan motor since at one poitn we could smell electrical burning in the car, and after that, found a few wires and a relay that were getting too hot to touch when running. We re ran a few wires and replaced two relays and now, nothing is getting hot, but we are still having an issue.

I can't find a thermometer tthat cycles the compressor on and off. There is also, that I can find anyway, no high side or low side pressure switch.

I can, however, find one wire that goes into the ECM from the a/c wiring harness. Could the ECM be screwing this up?

Only two things I know aren't right....

1) The climate control module wasn't right. It would only adjust certain ways, and I replaced it with one from a parts truck we have in our back yard. Instead of "RECIR" on the recirculate button, the one out of the 1993 truck says "MAX" on it. I don't think that would cause an issue, but hey, I'm open to anything that makes sense right now.

2) The a/c clutch has never cycled on or off the whole time we have watched it. It runs all the time and not even for the slightest instant does it ever cut off.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM

to be honest the same thing happend to my silverado i ended up for gigles do to what was going on with the wires on the compressor i replaced the clutch on the a/c.it is electrical magnet on a pully system to engage the compressor. i dont have the how to but it should have like a 8 mm bolt and a clip that you need a funky looking plyer to remove it and some washers. irony is gm has a really exelent ac system on it i have seen the 85 monte's as well as the same year chevy trucks blow really cold. replace that and see. i just want to let you know on what i did on mine.