Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

09 Chevy Silverado `Hybrid

Old 04-19-2009, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question 09 Chevy Silverado `Hybrid

Energy Smart
2009 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid
Program #2833 From MotorWeek

On MotorWeek TV this week, check your
TV listings 4 time/date

ENGINE: Vortec 6.0-liter V8
HORSEPOWER: 332
TORQUE: 367 lb feet
EPA: 21 mpg city/ 22 mpg highway

General Motor's approach to hybrids has centered on boosting the economy of its least efficient vehicles, namely big trucks. We've already put their full-size hybrid SUVs through the mill with good results. Well this week we turn our attention to their even more popular full-size pickups. So, let's see if GM's greener technology has a genuine work ethic.
More than ever, full-size truck buyers are demanding greater fuel efficiency without giving up capabilities. The Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid and its GMC kin, the Sierra Hybrid, have been engineered to do just that.
These are the first strong hybrid pickups to hit the market. They utilize GM's now famed Two-Mode hybrid transmission with the same powertrain found in Tahoe, Yukon, and Cadillac Escalade hybrid SUVs.
That includes GM's Vortec 6.0-liter V8. Output is 332 horsepower and 367 pound-feet of torque. To reduce fuel use further, Active Fuel Management shuts down four cylinders for cruise and light loads.
Beyond the V8, the Two-Mode transmission employs a pair of AC synchronous 60-watt electric motors. 'Two Mode' means these motors can provide continuous variable assistance at both low and high speeds.
The EVT runs in continuous mode under lighter loads, but can activate its four fixed gear ratios for higher load, and as with other strong or full-hybrid vehicles, the Silverado and Sierra can move with electric-only propulsion, up to 30 miles-per-hour.
The Two-Mode system stores its energy in a 300-volt nickel-metal hydride battery pack tucked neatly away under the rear seat, and for even further energy conservation, regenerative brakes recharge the batteries with each stopping event.
All of this fuel-saving technology results in Government Fuel Economy Ratings of 21 city/22 highway for two-wheel drive, and 20 city/20 highway for four-wheel drive, both on regular grade gas. That's a 40 percent gain in city economy and a 25 percent boost overall which also means an interstate cruising range of nearly 500 miles.
And when it comes to daily hauling, the Silverado and Sierra hybrids are indeed no-compromise vehicles. Maximum tow rating is 6,100 pounds for two-wheel-drive. Cargo box payload tops 2,600 pounds.
On the roads around San Antonio, Texas we got a solid feel for how these hybrids pickups drive. The front coil spring and rear leaf spring Z85 suspension has been retuned, with a passenger side hydraulic body mount added to enhance ride quality. The variable effort electric steering was numb, but on par with most big pickups.
As far as hybrid operation goes, the Silverado and Sierra offer a smooth and seamless transition between gas and electric modes, and ample power is available at a moment's notice.
Aside from special Hybrid badging, and a slightly lower front-fascia for improved aerodynamics, they share the same broad shouldered design as non-hybrid GMT900s.
Special 18-inch "quiet tuned" low-rolling resistance tires contribute to the more efficient performance. Available as only a Crew Cab model, the Silverado and Sierra hybrids have a 69.3 inch-long cargo box with either a hard or soft tonneau cover.
Inside, you'll find the same clean and spacious cabin as the standard Silverado and Sierra. They come in only two trims: work-minded Value and plusher Premium.
Both include a cluster with a new gauge that lets you know when you are driving at peak efficiency. The Driver Information Center provides other vitals such as instantaneous MPG, and the speedo has an indicator for the truck's auto-stop capabilities.
Premium trim adds a NAV screen that also displays hybrid power flow through color animation. Premium also means leather front bucket seats instead of the Value's cloth bench. Plus, adjustable pedals, and Rear Park assist.
All models have dual automatic climate, cruise control, OnStar, and a CD-satellite stereo, as well as a huge center console for storage and a spacious 3-person rear bench seat with a 40/20/40 split and fold-down center armrest, also with storage.
Safety comes from standard front and side-curtain airbags.
Now, base pricing for the Silverado Hybrid Value model is steep at $38,995. That number shoots up to $45,130 for the highly equipped Premium trim. Sierra prices are slightly higher, and both charge $3,150 for four-wheel drive. The only cost relief comes from a $2,200 hybrid federal tax credit. So, the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid and GMC Sierra Hybrid preserve the full-size pickup work ethic while rewarding owners with a meaningful jump in fuel economy. Hopefully their prices will come down as they are the wave of the future - a couple of "green" ranch hands that deliver on all fronts.

Member's, what do you think ? Would you buy one ?
Post your thoughts `ok...Thanks

Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A local Chevy dealer has one on the lot. Same color.

I wasn't really impressed for a personal vehicle. But if I was using it for working with light-duty loads, and wanted to save a little money on fuel, I'd probably go for it.

If I wanted a hybrid or something easy on gas for personal use, I'd buy a car.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

My neighbor just got a new truck. He looked at the GM trucks, and was VERY disappointed! He got a Tundra, and is VERY happy with it. He figures this will be his last truck.

Personally, I think the front of the Chevy's look CHEAP! What's with this black plastic piece in the middle? Can't they afford paint or chrome? And the style leaves a LOT to be desired. They seem to be selling OK, but are they selling any over invoice? Are ANY trucks selling over invoice right now? If you can't get a $45,000 truck for under $30,000 right now, you need to shop around!

As for the Hybrid? If you can get them for under $30K, they are probably a good deal. But to pay an extra $10K right now, you are DEFINITELY out standing in your field!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM

the plastic piece you are thinking of is on the base models and work trucks. otherwise they are chrome. personally i love these trucks. (not the hybrid) but the week before i bought the monte i was in consideration of a 1500 4 door short bed. it was red and had the 5.3 in it. was not a bad truck at all. then i test drove the sierra denali. god that was a beautiful truck. if the monte did not come along i probably would have bought one of the two trucks

Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

The Hybrid that I saw in person looked very cheap. Cheap plastic everywhere. It was obvious that they were trying to save weight anywhere they could.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Isn't it the same plastic as the grill on the 06-07 Montes :P

As for your neighbor, at least Toyota trucks are built in American Factories. So I suppose it's not sooo bad :P

Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I drove by the Toyota plant about a month ago in southern Indiana. I wish GM could build that quality, but until they quit buying tooling from China, their quality is still going to be junk. No more new GMs for me! Actually, I have no intentions of buying another NEW car, anyways. The '07 Solstice GXP was the last NEW car I plan on purchasing.

And as for trucks, we have a '99 Silverado Z71 regular cab sportside, and THAT is a GREAT truck. Not for hauling, but for being solid and looking good:

Last edited by RocknSS04; 04-21-2009 at 07:25 PM.